• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Need help

Oh how things work in life:wacko: Just the other day I was "bragging" about how I haven't tested the water in my tank "for years" in the "how often do you test your water" thread. To my surprise the last two days my tank has turned cloudy and the water is turning green. So I had to take out my water test kit, and all water parameters are fine. Yesterday I did a 60% water change but the water still turned green. I have never had this happen before. I know that phosphates are a good source for algae growth, but I have never heard or seen high phosphate levels turn the water cloudy green. I know Paul is having the same problem, but I did not want to hijack his thread.:D Any advice will help, thanks.

Andrewtfw

Global Moderators
Green indicates an algae bloom. When you say all parameters are fine, did you check phosphate levels? Phosphates creep up over time due to build up of organics. Tap water containing phosphates and silicates adds to this. If you tend to top off with tap water fairly frequently, you will more than likely get this result in time. The water change will help, but the lighting will aid in reproduction of the filamentus algae. Adding a sterilizer to the tank is the fastest and easiest way (combined with frequent water changes) to resolve this problem.

Lively

Members
HaHaHa - ahh the sweet irony...

Sorry, couldn't resist that! I think Andrew is prolly right. Water changes didn't do much for my problem with constant blooms - I tried otc algae killers, once. Not only did it not help - I felt so much guilt for putting chemicals like that in my fishies water I swore to never do it again.

I just learned to live with it, eventually it resolved itself - but I did do more frequent water changes and reduced the light to help reduce it.

Lively

Members
Just thought of this - what about adding salt to the tank? What do you fish and plant guru's think? It aids in curing all else that ails our fishies - do you think it would help diminish an algae bloom?

Spine

Members
Do your water changes. Cover the whole tank so that no light can get in, if you have or can borrow a Diatom filter that will help.

Thanks guys. Sorry I have not answered, I have been soooo busy the last two days.

Andrew, I have not tested for phosphates, but I will go out and get a test kit.

Maddog, I am not sure if it would be a bacteria bloom. If ammonia and nitrites are at 0, can there be a bacteria bloom?

Lively, thanks for laughing, I feel the love.......................NOT! JK:) (the salt suggestion was funny) I will do more water changes and see how that goes and I will cover the tank with a blanket per SPINE.

Lively

Members
Ya know I love ya! And, I feel for you - it's a battle I have fought and I know how frustrating green water is. Actually, I was serious about the salt - I've never had a green water bloom in any of the salts we've kept and I've never heard of a green algae bloom in a salt tank. I'm wondering if the medicinal level of salt we use for our fish is enough to change the water chem. to stop a bloom. I've no clue - but thought it might be worth asking the "old timers" I'm sure I'll be battling green water again soon enough, the downside of a sunny house.