• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Need help with my new canister filter!

MelissaRoberts

CCA Members
Hey guys I just got a new canister filter for my 80-G tank and it didn’t come with filter media. What would you all put in it? Also I was wondering what do the ceramic rings and plastic balls do in a canister filter exactly?

Last edited:

Wet Sleeves

CCA Members
Staff member
What type of canister did you get? Might help us give you more specific advice with regards to placement of the media. There is also a plethora of awesome videos on youtube of which they discuss placement of media and what the specific brands/ types do. Its very important that you place the media in the proper trays.

stany

CCA Members
If you google the model filter you have and include "manual" you should be able to find an online manual for it which will provide media information. Most manufacturers have online manuals on their web sites as well.

neut

Members
Realistically, while most canister products have their own by the book media setup, media in a filter is customizable.

A general canister setup in order of water flow is: A first stage with one or more relatively course mechanical media, the Eheim filters I have use tube-like rings first, then a course (blue) sponge. (I also have a Hydor canister I'm liking a lot) Next is biological media. Next final filtration with some combination of finer media for water polishing and chemical media (like carbon, carbon infused or other chemical sponge, etc.). A lot of people debate the value of carbon, either way chemical media can be considered optional, it has it's place but it's normally not essential to run full time in a filter. Something like carbon or Purigen, if you do chemical media, can come before final fine media.

Basically, what this does is: 1) filter out large particles first as an efficiency step and to reduce clogging of bio media 2) allow bio media to remove ammonia and nitrite (next insert chemical filtering if you're doing that) 3) final filtering of remaining fine parricides to achieve water clarity. You shouldn't change this basic order, but you can vary which products you use or the proportion of media for each step. I tend to use a bit higher proportion of clarifying media, which for me is simply poly fluff. After a week or two, new poly fluff also becomes bio media. You could conceivably run a filter with all poly fluff-- I've done it on occasion with smaller power filters (hang on the tank filters) for fry tanks. It works.

Plastic bio balls are old technology, really, once popular with people running trickle filters or sump filters, the theory is they create turbulence and add oxygen. But they're not especially efficient in terms of surface area for bacteria. Good bio media has pores that add 'internal' surface area. As a result, rinse or touch a plastic ball and you're wiping bacteria off the smooth, relatively hard surface. Allow exposure to air and bacteria start drying out almost immediately. Bacteria adhere better to rough, porous bio media, plus there are the pores you can't reach. Allow exposure to air and porous media dries out much more slowly, even some partial drying doesn't reach bacteria hidden in the pores.

Ceramic rings for bio is okay, somewhat less efficient use of filter volume than some of the other bio media types out there.

Haven't covered everything, just some basics, hope it helps.

neut

Members
As an afterthought-- If ceramic rings are a somewhat inefficient use of filter volume, plastic balls are even less efficient. In a trickle or sump filter with a lot of volume it doesn't matter as much as in a canister or power filter where you're working with relatively small volume.

stany

CCA Members
The question was about canister filter media. While I agree with neut I've found following the recommendations of Fluval on their filters has kept my water parameters in check. Putting in a carbon filter may affect or will neutralize any meds you add to treat illness. Which makes you have to remove them first which is a pain. I've added some DIY powerhead filters to help collect debris which is very easy to clean but not so attractive.