• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

My Trip To Atlantis (www.cichlids.net)

Charlutz

Members
Every Thanksgiving, I take the family back to NY where I grew up to visit family. We go to see my aunt who lives in Dutchess county, about an hour and a half north of NYC. I found out this year that she is very close to three of the largest cichlid breeders on the East coast and tried to make arrangements to get in some visits. I first contacted Frank "frschul" whose posts I'd seen on the cichlid-forum. He was very nice but was going to be in Virginia over Thanksgiving. He repeatedly offered to take me by the other breeders any time I came up. He's on my list of people to meet.

The second breeder was a friend of Frank's and only took visitors by appointment, so I tried a third option and took a look at the website of Atlantis (Peter Rubin), www.cichlids.net. Bingo! The website said that the facility was open from 10-2 every Saturday. Because of the holiday, I emailed Peter to make sure they'd be open and heard back that they would.

The drive was about 40 mins from my aunt's. The weather was in the low 30's, but from experience, I left my coat in the car and entered the 4k s.f. warehouse. It was a predictable 85+ degrees inside. I'd best describe the warehouse as a cross between a mail order facility and a pet store. The advantage of dealing with private breeders is that you get great prices and a variety of species never found in stores. The flip side is that if you are used to pet stores, you might get put off by warehouses, which are often dark, not well labeled, and generally not as customer accessible as a retail outlet -- nor should they be. To offer the variety of fish they do at the prices they do, they can't spend the money to pretty up the store into a retail outlet.

Anyway, Atlantis was a bit of a hybrid. Lots of species and great prices, a decent amount of light (I brought a flashlight just in case and had to use it in a few spots). Most of the tanks were correctly labeled, but none had prices. There was a copy of the website price list floating around, but it would have been better if I brought my own. The facility itself was super clean, as were the tanks. I think I only saw one fishius floatius. :innocent0006: There were about 12 other people in the warehouse, including some people from England who were visiting family and decided to stop by and pick up a few fish to bring back across the pond!

My brother counted the rows of tanks and with a little multiplication guessed that there were between 1200 and 1500 tanks in the place. The website claims it is over 40k gallons. I'd say maybe 1/4 to 1/3 of the tanks contained their breeders. These fish were spectacular. They were very skittish as I walked by the tanks and I could tell they weren't disturbed often. There were lots of holding mouthbrooders, lamps with broods in the tank and a ~40g egg tumbler with 30 wells, most filled with eggs or fry. Each tank had sponge filters, but there might have been a central filtration system as well. I forgot to look.

Peter wasn't there, and there was only one person working, Jenn. I had my 2.5 y.o. daughter with me and she had fallen asleep on the ride over, so she would not let me put her down. I snapped a couple of pictures but they didn't come out too well. Since there was only one person working, I didn't want to lose my place in line. I was looking for WC alto. compressiceps females. I've got two gold head males, including one whose location I've had a hard time ascertaining. The Atlantis website has a picture of a male from Malasa that is the spitting image of mine, so I was desperately hoping they had some females.

I asked Jenn where the gold heads were and she pointed me to the two aisles where they kept the WC fish. It took a while but I found them in a tank marked only "gold head." Once I confirmed they were the Malasas, I took out my flashlight and tried to spot males/females. No such luck. All of the fish were about 2.5" and none had the distinctive look of a dominant male. I had no confidence I'd be able to pick a female and figured I'd just have to guess. I told Jenn to bag three for me and get females if she could. She said no problem. She could vent them on the spot. She took a net and expertly nabbed 5 fish very quickly, flipped them over, took a look and pulled three females! Woo hoo! :party0006:

The fish bagging station was very efficient. A valve pours treated water (blue) straight from the tap; the bags are very thick and if you pick up from the warehouse, no box charge. Because my fish were going to be in the bags for 12 hours and it was cold, Jenn also added some heat packs. They were double bagged and arrived home in great shape.

In sum, if you are ever in the area, stop by Atlantis. Terrific sight to see. If you are looking on the internet for fish and they have what you want, I'd also recommend them. Peter is very nice, but his emails to me were brief. (We ended up forgetting my daughter's winter coat inside the warehouse. Peter emailed me Saturday night and shipped it to me first thing Monday!) :character0272: Just a reminder that it's not a retail store so don't be put off if you don't get a lot of answers by email.

Here's a pic of one of the rows of tanks. There were probably 20 rows like this, with tanks from 10g to 100g.

IMG_7707JPG.jpg

Here's a pic of a nice variety of jumbo cyp.

IMG_7709JPG.jpg

Here's a male enantiopus sp. kilesa.

IMG_7712JPG.jpg

Here's my male gold head.

IMG_4221.jpg

Here is the pic of the Malasa gold head from Peter's site.

AlcompGoldhead-Atlantis.jpg

Hey Charlie, sounds like you had a nice trip. Even lost...and got back the kid's coat. A good omen for the holidays. :innocent0003:

This place sounds really interesting. Since I don't hang out on a lot of the fish forums anymore, any chance you could post the link to the three top breeders on the East Coast that you mentioned (especially this one).

Thanks.

Charlutz

Members
Yeah, Sarah, I think that's the other guy that Frank mentioned to me. Doug Conklin (sp?) I think his name is. All very close to where I used to live 20 years ago. Who knew? I think I need to find more reasons to go visit my aunt. :D I think Tim Nurse took his club on a field trip to one of those places a while back. From what Frank told me, Atlantis is the only place open to the public at set hours each week, but if someone here knows Doug, a visit might be arranged. Frank seemed very gracious and would have allowed me over had he not been traveling. I wish I had had more time to spend at Peter's and do a proper catalogue and review. Besides the clingy child, it took longer than expected to get there and we were having our Thanksgiving dinner in the early afternoon. Also made a later trip to the hospital for my wife (she's fine) but I was trying not to dawdle.

DeeCee

Members
Great write-up Charlie! That must have been a fun trip. Sounds like an awesome place to go exploring!

DC
PS~ Hope your wife gets better quickly :)

Pat Kelly

CCA Member
Staff member
Hmmm. Summer Road trip?
Looks a little too far for that I guess. I know we went to All Odd Ball a few years ago. That was like 9 hours round trip. Was fun. This one looks more like 10-12 hour round trip for most people. Would be a bit much for a day trip I guess.

longstocking

Members
Yes too far... But we could go here....

http://www.tomstanganyikans.com/

Has about 4,000 gallons of water.... and is only 3+ hours away.

Keeps malawi, tang and a few cats. I think a couple people in our area have visited him. From what I have heard his set-up is a little different than most but outstanding. I've ordered from him before but never made the trip.

Charlutz

Members
The drive to Atlantis would be 4+ hours with zero traffic. And you always get traffic on that route. I made it home from my aunt's in 4 hours on the Saturday night after Thanksgiving, but we left at 10p and made it on a single tank of gas with no pit stops. I also tend to stretch the speed limits a bit. I think you're looking at 5.5 hours each way, easy, probably more. With three breeders in such close proximity, however, it wouldn't be a bad overnighter with a bit of planning.

Pat Kelly

CCA Member
Staff member
I don't know Sarah, Being out on Long Island with city traffic, might be quicker to go to the other one. Plus 6000 gallons vs. 40000 gallons.....for another hour or so.

Sounds like an overnight trip to me....lol....Have to break that one to the wife though....

longstocking

Members
Oh don't get me wrong... I'd rather go to Atlantis :) Was just trying to find a place closer. Even if we have to drive 10 hours :lol: I'd go to Atlantis any day.

longstocking

Members
OK another option. I don't know this guy only heard of him ( talked to him brielfy by e-mail)... and not sure if he can do a cichlid club get together.

But he's only 2+ hours away in PA.
http://www.tntcichlids.com/default.htm

Ha ! maybe I can be usefull as corresponding secr. !! :lol: I have talked to most of these people before ! So maybe I can be put to good use :lol: Was beginning to feel useless !

maddog10

Members
Ha ! maybe I can be usefull as corresponding secr. !! :lol: I have talked to most of these people before ! So maybe I can be put to good use :lol: Was beginning to feel useless ![/b]

That is why I made up stuff to do! :lol: