• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

My assassin snail Christmas miracle

So I'm going to do a water change and I pull out the two buckets that the tank water goes into and at the bottom is a dried up assasin snail. :eek:

Now that annoys me for several reasons -- how are they ending up through the siphon ?????????? as the MTS don't (and this wasn't the first time). But most annoying is that they aren't cheap, they have a big job to do and I don't want to lose even one. But there he was, all dried up (it had been several days since I'd last used the bucket) and I decided, WTH, and I dropped him back in the tank.

He lives!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)

samsmobb

Members
That's the bad thing about snails unfortunately.

I've hard several snails survive after storing gravel for weeks
My assassin snails lay eggs like crazy but how much do they sell for? I was given mine to me by a friend lol

mchambers

Former CCA member
They usually go for $1-2 each. Mine have been feasting on mts for a while now, and I think the assassins are reproducing themselves. Unfortunately, I've still got more mts than I want.

Amazing that Holly's snail survived. I have no doubt that my Malaysian trumpet snails would survive a large asteroid striking my neighborhood, however.

Leffler817

CCA Members
I bought a used tank with crushed coral in it. I left it empty for about three weeks plus the time it was empty prior to me getting it. One night I discovered a tank full of MTS! Now I have a few assassin snails working their way through the tank. I used to find empty mts shells on the floor and on the glass lids of tanks below the tank with the snails.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Andrewtfw

Global Moderators
Will assasin snails eat other foods once the snail population is depleted?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

verbal

CCA Members
Will assasin snails eat other foods once the snail population is depleted?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

What I have heard is you can maintain the population with meaty foods, but to get them to breed you need to have snails for them to prey on.

I will not live long enough for my assassin snails to do away with all the MTS in my tank. It's like a freaking Stephen King novel with those freaking things.

Here is my miracle snail. I thought this was odd -- him being up on a plant without a MTS in sight - and made an interesting picture with his tube and other assorted body parts all stretched out just so

asssnail.jpg

zcfish

Members
When I first got my assassin snails I put them in a small container with some snails from the tank. They crawl on top of each other for a few days but I didn't see any snail eaten. They're in my snail-infested tank now still alive but I still don't know if they eat snails.

Oh, and I now also have assasin baby snails! I am very excited about that!

Can I just tell you how exciting it is to see empty MTS shells in the tank????

OK, clearly I need a life

mchambers

Former CCA member
Assassin Snails

Oh, and I now also have assasin baby snails! I am very excited about that!

Can I just tell you how exciting it is to see empty MTS shells in the tank????

OK, clearly I need a life
I guess I do too, because I had the same reaction when I saw empty shells, and the substrate was no longer crawling with MTS when the lights went out.

I put 5 or so Assassins in a 20 long. After a few months, I wasn't seeing any MTS, so I started moving the Assassins to another infested tank. I didn't count, but it seemed like I moved at least 10 Assassins.