• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

moon phases and breeding

a4andrew

Members
All of a sudden a number of pairs of my cichlids have colored up and have started their dances. This is all very unusual and "coincidental". There is a new moon on Tuesday, May 3. Has anyone done studies about moon phases and breeding. Is anyone else having their fish "light up"?:)

verbal

CCA Members
All of a sudden a number of pairs of my cichlids have colored up and have started their dances. This is all very unusual and "coincidental". There is a new moon on Tuesday, May 3. Has anyone done studies about moon phases and breeding. Is anyone else having their fish "light up"?:)

I think marine fish might be more likely to be affected by the lunar cycle.

However all the recent storm activity could have been a spawning trigger for your cichlids.

ive heard alot of people say spring air and rain get there fish spawning. I have never really experienced this myself.

i do know however, that when the moon is full or new, the fish are biting!

illpoet

Members
from back in the day breeding south asian fish (bettas etc...) i can definately vouch for heavy rains triggering spawning. fish that were normally trying to kill each other would be jumping barriers to spawn when the spring rains came. I used to use a plant watering can to raise the water levels and induce spawning and it sort of worked, but not like the spring rains when all the fish would be trying to spawn.

Last edited:

George

CCA Charter Member and person in charge of the we
There are two things at work here - one is the low atmospheric pressure that comes along with storms. It convinces your fish that it is the rainy season and time to make love, not war.

Also, about the moon, my fish always get a little crazy when I moon 'em.

George

Pat Kelly

CCA Member
Staff member
Uh, George.

In ref to the last post.

Please do not post any pictures of said Mooning.
Thank you.:lol::lol::lol: