• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

"mixed african cichlids sale" id

illpoet

Members
lol, so i started to post these two on cichlid-forum.com but it was a mess and anyhow i like you guys better. I got these two on sale 5 for 25 mixed africans about 4 months ago. I thought they were pretty cool albino's (mbunas was my guess) and i also thought they were both male (both have eggspots on anal fin). then 2 days ago lo and behold one of them is holding! she pulled a fast one on me! anyhow, now that i have her eggs tumbling i'm very curious as to what fish these are specifically.
Male:
malermystery.jpg
female:
femalemystery.jpg

thanks in advance!

malermystery.jpg

femalemystery.jpg

Charlutz

Members
Definitely mbuna. Kinda look like zebras, but the angle of the pic makes it hard to judge the body height and albino zebras look more pink and yours seem to have some orange hues, though it could be the flowerpots or lighting reflecting off them. I also need to use a bad word and say those mixed african tanks are notorious for holding hybrids, so you may not get an actual species ID. Pretty fish.

illpoet

Members
yeah thats what worries me since this is the same place i got the "strawberry peacock" hybrid from. i'm not really interested in growing out hybridized fry. at worst the fry will feed the ol eyebiter or jack!

verbal

CCA Members
so the eggs were sterile. I suppose thats more proof of these two fishes hybrididness

Did you see them spit and fungused, or did you just not get fry?

It is not that rare to have a holding female and not end up with fry even if they from a spawn of the same species.

Tony

Alligator Snapping Turtle/Past Pres
Did you see them spit and fungused, or did you just not get fry?

It is not that rare to have a holding female and not end up with fry even if they from a spawn of the same species.

Yeah. Two hybrids are more than capable than producing offspring... It's not like the whole horse + donkey = sterile mule thing in higher animals. Young Malawi cichlids sometimes take a couple of times to get it right.

illpoet

Members
the eggs were ok when i put them in the tumbler, but they didn't deveolop into wigglers they just sort of stretched out and fell apart. then after that, fungus.