• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Memorable Moments:

cyradis4

Members
Hi!

Whats the most you've had an Mbuna spit? Or a Peackock? or a Hap? What kind were they, and how old? (best guess)

Just trying to see what people have done in the past, and what the most they ever had was.

My most memorable moment with Africans? Well, there are three:

First was when I was sitting by my Cynotilapia Afra tank with by best friend, and "What was THAT????" and then we began to look very closly, and then she says "There's a baby!!!!!" I looked at it and said, "Well, I sure as hell didn't put that in there!!!!!". We eventually found 2 of them, and later it turned out that there were at least 4......

Second Mbuna Moment was when I looked into the same tank, and began to wonder where all the fish had gone!!!!! There were those four juvies that I hadn't put in there, but where were the two wild females? And where were the three other (smaller) F1 females? I never see the two F1 males, so they weren't a surprise. So I looked, and looked, and looked, and finaly:
"THAT BLOODY MALE KNOCKED UP ALL MY FEMALES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! grrrrrrrrrr..........."
So I took 30+ minutes to carefully disassemble the tank to catch the female that looked to be holding the most (the smaller wild female, I am pretty sure). In the process, I dumped the dominate male out of his pvc, and I swear he gave me the finger!!!! I finaly caught her, and then a few weeks later, Voila!!!! 20+ babies!!!!!

Third moment was with some of my Tangs, the Tropheus. When I went to catch 12 for the auction, dad said get some big ones and some small ones and some medium ones. One of the smallest ones I caught, dad looked at and said: "I didn't put that fish in there. All the Tropheus I put in there were at least an inch!!!!!". Whats amazing about these is that the tank has not only Tropheus, but some Mbuna, some Peacocks, and my prize Nimbochromis Venustus. And all it had in it was a bunch of 2" PVC.

So what are yours?

dogofwar

CCA Members
Even though I've experienced it probably hundreds of times, there's something really cool about watching cichlids - even convicts - guard their babies.

I also really enjoy breeding strange or unusual fish - orange chromides, west africans, weird livebearers. I think my female anableps is "with babies"...

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (SubMariner @ Mar 1 2008, 12:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
For me it's watching them grow from babies to adulthood. I take pride in that.[/b]

longstocking

Members
Most memorable is probably the first time I bred Petrochromis. A few years ago I think there were only a handfull of people actually trying these fish. So, when I bred them ( hard fish to keep let alone breed) I was VERY excited and realized I wasn't half bad at breeding :lol: As there were no "rules" ( proven methods ) at that time.

The WORST memorable moment, is moving 20 tanks in 2 days and setting all the fish up in 2 days. Longest 2 days !!

Pat Kelly

CCA Member
Staff member
I guess off the top of my head.....

The worst was like 5 years ago. Took my prized Albino eureka to a show, getting a bunch of ooohs and aahhhs from other people. Then going to breakfast only to find him dead in the tank an hour later.

The best was probably the next year when I took his son to the 1st Catfish convention and won Best in Show with him.
Close second was the next year winning Best in Show with another Peacock.

Of course you all know that you are required by club rules to show your best moment in the hobby as finding and joining the CCA.
:party0038: :party0038: :party0038: :party0038:
LOL

SubMariner

Master Jedi & Past VP
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Pat Kelly @ Mar 3 2008, 10:15 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I guess off the top of my head.....

The worst was like 5 years ago. Took my prized Albino eureka to a show, getting a bunch of ooohs and aahhhs from other people. Then going to breakfast only to find him dead in the tank an hour later.

The best was probably the next year when I took his son to the 1st Catfish convention and won Best in Show with him.
Close second was the next year winning Best in Show with another Peacock.

Of course you all know that you are required by club rules to show your best moment in the hobby as finding and joining the CCA.
:party0038: :party0038: :party0038: :party0038:
LOL
[/b]

Wow! I am really sorry about your Albino Peacock. That must of been devastating. :(
The wonderful thing was, that his son came back and won it for his Pops.