• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Maculatus Spawning

DeeCee

Members
We got lucky enough to have this young pair of Paretroplus maculatus spawn the other day:
unfortunately, the eggs were gone on the third day.

Sure was a long time to hold my breath!

IMG_0546.jpg

marge618

CCA member
We got lucky enough to have this young pair of Paretroplus maculatus spawn the other day:
unfortunately, the eggs were gone on the third day.

Sure was a long time to hold my breath!

IMG_0546.jpg
[/b]

Aw, they are beautiful DC! The pictures are so much fun. I had to look this one up ('Lakes of the lower Ikopa-Betsiboka drainage, Madagascar' I can pretty much tell where they come from) but what is 'lacustrine'?

Just when I think it is time to sign off = another species to research. This one is endangered too! How many BAP points will this species earn you?

Later,
Marge

DeeCee

Members
Thanks guys! It would be great if we get some fry from this pair, since they are endangered.
Marge, I don't have any idea how many CCA BAP points it would be worth at this point, since the
point schedule is being re-worked. I would guess it's quite a few!

Last I heard, these fish have never had a successful spawning in an aquarium. I have to admit that
I haven't looked it up lately though.

DC

dogofwar

CCA Members
How big are the pair? What size tank? What do you feed them, etc?

Thanks guys! It would be great if we get some fry from this pair, since they are endangered.
Marge, I don't have any idea how many CCA BAP points it would be worth at this point, since the
point schedule is being re-worked. I would guess it's quite a few!

Last I heard, these fish have never had a successful spawning in an aquarium. I have to admit that
I haven't looked it up lately though.

DC[/b]

DeeCee

Members
They're still young and have some growing to do. I'm not very good with measuring fish, but I would say that they're about 8" right now. We had them in a 125 which is what they spawned in, but just moved them into a 75 by themselves now. The 125 had new driftwood in it too, which is why the water is so dark in the photos.
They seem to be already picking out the next spawning site, so hopefully it will work out well. Sometimes it just takes practice for the young pairs - but that's the fun of it I guess! Oh, and it was sooooooo cool to watch them spawn! I grabbed the cameras & took several pictures & then shot a short video of the spawning with my Kodak too. OK, I admit it, I felt like a kinky voyeur doing it though~

We just feed them New Life Spectrum. Sometimes I give them a little frozen brine shrimp or flakes or wafers. They beg for food and have great personalities. They even get "petted" by brushing up against my hand when I'm doing water changes. Little snots! Very friendly for wilds, that's for sure.

DC

Pat Kelly

CCA Member
Staff member
They even get "petted" by brushing up against my hand when I'm doing water changes. Little snots! Very friendly for wilds, that's for sure.

DC[/b]

No wonder noone breeds these. You have to "pet" them first. Foreplay?
Who da thunk it?

DeeCee

Members
Well :wub: if it makes them spawn.........

Ummm it's all "for the Good of the Hobby!!" Right??? Hee hee!

Oh and btw - I didn't play ANY Barry White for them. It was John Mayer that did the trick. Learn from it, guys! :party0007:

DC

dogofwar

CCA Members
Very cool - they always reminded me of freshwater tangs.

I had a group of four menarembo a few years ago that were about 4-5", also in a 125g. They were doing great, very sociable and eating well for a few months. One day, I did the regular water change and they just fell apart - their fins almost dissolved and they got really slimy. I did another water change, treated with salt, Prime, and Melafix and a couple hung on for another month or so...and then died. Really sad.

Must have been something in the city water that day (in Sacramento) that only affected them, since their tankmates (Geophagus, cats, etc.) weren't impacted.

I'd love to get somemore and try over.

They're still young and have some growing to do. I'm not very good with measuring fish, but I would say that they're about 8" right now. We had them in a 125 which is what they spawned in, but just moved them into a 75 by themselves now. The 125 had new driftwood in it too, which is why the water is so dark in the photos.
They seem to be already picking out the next spawning site, so hopefully it will work out well. Sometimes it just takes practice for the young pairs - but that's the fun of it I guess! Oh, and it was sooooooo cool to watch them spawn! I grabbed the cameras & took several pictures & then shot a short video of the spawning with my Kodak too. OK, I admit it, I felt like a kinky voyeur doing it though~

We just feed them New Life Spectrum. Sometimes I give them a little frozen brine shrimp or flakes or wafers. They beg for food and have great personalities. They even get "petted" by brushing up against my hand when I'm doing water changes. Little snots! Very friendly for wilds, that's for sure.

DC[/b]

Laxison

Members
What a great picture and such neat looking eggs! How long do you think until they will hatch (or have they already or was this already brought up....so much for skimming through the posts!)

DeeCee

Members
LOL, I do the same thing Allison.
Nope, the eggs were gone on day 2 or 3, can't recall.
But that's ok, they're in a better tank & all by themselves now, and they definitely seem to be
interested in each other, so the honeymoon continues. :wub: Eventually they'll get it right!

DC