• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Local Fish Stores

mscichlid

Founder
What's up with their prices? I got a gift certificate for $250 to a local fish store.

Well, I spent the $250. It was hard to do because everything was WAY too expensive. I needed heaters. They're 150 watt Stealth heaters were $49.99!!!!! Didn't buy 'em, duh! An AC 500 (110) was $89.99! Ouch!

I ended up getting a 30" Coralife 1 x 65 watt light fixture; $30 overpriced, a HOT magnum $25 overpriced, 2 bags of Flourite, a Hagen bubble counter, Seachem fertilizer, and 3 bunch plants. Spent $250.68.

Don't get me wrong, I love going to the lfs. I do love the convienence of going to the store and looking around. I'll buy something or another, but man, why are their prices so ridiculous?

DeeCee

Members
Sounds like you got some pretty nice things though, Francine. Yeah, pricey, but that's free enterprise for ya.

mscichlid

Founder
Originally posted by Spine@Dec 31 2005, 05:04 PM
In what area might this store be located. Silver Spring maybe ?.Any hints?
:lol: The United States! I'll never say...I don't want anyone sueing me for slander! Ha!

mscichlid

Founder
Originally posted by DeeCee@Jan 1 2006, 06:10 AM
Sounds like you got some pretty nice things though, Francine. Yeah, pricey, but that's free enterprise for ya.
You are right DeeCee. I'm just so cheap, I guess. I'll look at it from your perspective! :angel:

I think that we get spoiled what with all the horse trading we do within the club, and the good deals to be found at the auctions. I know I couldn't have afforded even 1/10th the crap I have now without the club (OWW, my wife just kicked me for reminding her how much crap I have). ^_^

Other than That Fish Place, most places are WAY above internet/catalog prices, they have to be since they just don't do the same volumes.

Theresa_M

Members
Depending on what you need I've always found BigAl's Online cheaper than any lfs, even figuring in the cost of shipping.

Dennis and I are very spoiled now that we are member of fish clubs.

I can't tell you how many time we go to look at our local fish store and
laugh at the price of some of the fish. Not only the price but the fish
don't look that healthy.

Dennis and I like to do window shopping at our local pet stores.

We just started shopping on line to save money. This way we have more
money to spend at fish club meetings!!

Kelly and Dennis

Pat Kelly

CCA Member
Staff member
Fish clubs are a great way of saving money and finding things not available in stores. And that does not count the other benifits of membership. I don't like the way some stores price things either. But with the price of help and rent I don't know if I would want to try. Also never underestimate the benefit of a good local fish store. If it was not for lfs most of us would never have gotten into the hobby. While I buy things the best way I can, I still try to work with and support the mom and pop operations. The better ones also help support us by refering members and offering discounts to members. Some stores, if they know you as a regular, will also trade fish for store credit. That way you have an outlet for your fry and the store can get quality fish to sell.

The above was the opinion of the writer as a fish hobbiest and does not reflect the opinion or interest of the club....... Figured I would stick that in there :D

I totally agree with Pat on this issue. My business (not tropical fish) depends on the existence of thriving small mom and pop type stores. They are usually the place that introduced us all to the hobby. The only way they can exist and compete with the big stores and web site retailers is with the support of the neighborhood hobbiest.

I don't give them all my money I spend for the hobby, but I try to support them with some of it. And the smart LFS owner knows that he can get his prices from the folks who can afford the convenience, service and knowledge that the average, uneducated in the hobby, consumer seeks.

It reminds me of the time I had a friend stop by and fix my old central air condintioner. He spent about an hour fixing it and charged me $20. I said to him, you can't make any money only charging me that low an amount. He said, "don't worry about it. I'm charging the next stop $200 an hour. It's over in Roland Park, they can afford it and don't ask questions."