• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

LFS and Apistogrammas

Prince

The ONE who is The ONE
Why do most if not all of the LFS the stock Apistogrammas charge a kings ransom for pairs? I have seen agasazzi pairs for as much as 90.00 and cacatudioes pairs for as much as 50.00. I don't believe that the whole sellers are charging the LFS retail prices for these fish. Why such high prices? For me these prices drive me to online stores as opposed to asking for the fish to be ordered.

Posted via mobile.capitalcichlids.org

Leffler817

CCA Members
I agree. They are ridiculously over priced. Killies too! I thought it was because they are great looking fish and somewhat easy to care for. But that doesn't make it right.

dogofwar

CCA Members
Most LFS sell fish for ~3 x wholesale... which means that pairs of apistos aren't cheap.

Matt

Why do most if not all of the LFS the stock Apistogrammas charge a kings ransom for pairs? I have seen agasazzi pairs for as much as 90.00 and cacatudioes pairs for as much as 50.00. I don't believe that the whole sellers are charging the LFS retail prices for these fish. Why such high prices? For me these prices drive me to online stores as opposed to asking for the fish to be ordered.

Posted via mobile.capitalcichlids.org

Spine

Members
A lot of apisto's that are sold are wild caught and don't ship that well thus a lot of loses. Maybe the store was trying to making up for loses. Apisto's aren't something you see very often so they might just be taking advantage of the fact that people don't have anything to compare prices too.

Personally I always prefer to see the fish before I buy it especially with apisto's, as they are often misidentified. It can be more cost effective if you get to go choose your own fish that you know is healthy and eating,correct sex,etc,etc. Most LFS will hold a fish for you. This gives you more time to observe it before you buy.(might require a deposit).

When I buy apisto's locally it's from The House Of Tropicals in Glen Burnie they usually have 4-5 species at a decent price and their fish are ID correctly.

If I'm going online I go with dealers I trust Frybabies.com or TheAmazonBasement.com

Andrewtfw

Global Moderators
Our supplier charges us between $15-$25 a pair. This does not include freight. We like their quality so we buy from them. That is why we charge so much.

Prince

The ONE who is The ONE
A lot of apisto's that are sold are wild caught and don't ship that well thus a lot of loses. Maybe the store was trying to making up for loses. Apisto's aren't something you see very often so they might just be taking advantage of the fact that people don't have anything to compare prices too.

Personally I always prefer to see the fish before I buy it especially with apisto's, as they are often misidentified. It can be more cost effective if you get to go choose your own fish that you know is healthy and eating,correct sex,etc,etc. Most LFS will hold a fish for you. This gives you more time to observe it before you buy.(might require a deposit).

When I buy apisto's locally it's from The House Of Tropicals in Glen Burnie they usually have 4-5 species at a decent price and their fish are ID correctly.

If I'm going online I go with dealers I trust Frybabies.com or TheAmazonBasement.com

Those are two of the places I have purchased from before. But the prices were reasonable. I am just cheap I guess. I can't imagine dropping $90 on a pair. I still think that the price contributes to a lack of availability.

Plenipotentiary-at-large
HOT usually has apistos for $5.98 ea.

If you're talking the place in Glen Burnie, with respect, not in the two years of careful scrutiny during maybe two dozen times I've been there. No way. $10/each once, just ten days ago (my only species of 15 from there), $25 a pair maybe twice, often that much per individual with $35-$65/pr. the norm. Usually for cacuatioides or agassizi, occasionally something else, and frequently very young.

Fish shows, Aquabid and Club trades definitely where it's at for Apisto-type types unless HOT recently found a new pipeline and/or until I can stop working long enough to foment a great deal of ta-ran-ta-ra among this apartment's other inhabitants.

Hawkman2000

Members
For those of us in NVA, check out Pristine Aquarium in Alexandria. Not as big as SuperPetz, but it is way better. Clean, organized, and good stock. Right now he has some beautiful EBJ juvi's for 29$ (I think). It's worth it just to see the tanks and filter system, BADASS.

Spine

Members
If you're talking the place in Glen Burnie, with respect, not in the two years of careful scrutiny during maybe two dozen times I've been there. No way. $10/each once, just ten days ago (my only species of 15 from there), $25 a pair maybe twice, often that much per individual with $35-$65/pr. the norm. Usually for cacuatioides or agassizi, occasionally something else, and frequently very young.

Fish shows, Aquabid and Club trades definitely where it's at for Apisto-type types unless HOT recently found a new pipeline and/or until I can stop working long enough to foment a great deal of ta-ran-ta-ra among this apartment's other inhabitants.
I usually pay $5-6.98 apiece:eek::eek: