• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Lake Malawi Fish

cyradis4

Members
Hey!

When I've heard of the Malawi fish, I've heard of several types.... Mbuna, Peacock, Hap, and a few others I think. I'm wondering what the differences are, both in habitat, temperment, and some general guidlines about what goes with what. (I know its complicated, which is why I'm asking..... I can't find info I know is reliable)

Thanks!
Amanda.

maddog10

Members
The answer to that question will be VERY long and complicated (would take hours to answer correctly). The easiest thing to do is get some Malawi books by Ad Konings and read up. He is considered one of, if not the, leading authority on these fish.

Tim

Members
There are a few hundred species of cichlids in Lake Malawi, but here are some real basic generalities:
Lake Malawi has a high pH and hard water. pH in the tank should be 7.8 or higher. (Although the fish can acclimate to a bit lower pH levels, it may shorten their life cycles.)

Mbuna - Primarily algae grazers. There are a number of Genus in this group. Psuedotropheus, Labeotropheus, Petrotilapia, Labidochromis, Tropheops, Melanochromis, Cynotilapia, Iodotropheus and a few that I can't think of off the top of my head. These fish (in general) are best kept in groups with one male and multiple females. Because they're primarily algae grazers, they're very territorial. They have small stomachs and long digestive tracts which make them susceptible to Malawi Bloat. They should be fed spirulina and foods that are easily digestible. (NLS works well.) Some fish in this group, like the popular Labidochromis caeruleus, are insectivores, are not as aggressive as the others and can withstand a more varied diet. Typically both males and females are colorful although there may be variations in that coloration.

Peacocks - This is the Aulonocara group. The name is greek and means "Flute Face". Named for the pits or holes in the face which act as a type of sonar. They are found in deeper waters and in the wild feed on invertebrates, insects, etc, found under the sand. There are a number of different species, the most popular groups being the Chitande, Maylandi and Stuartgranti complexes. Females are silverish or brown in color, and only the dominant males get coloration. (nice coloration) Again, polygamous mouthbrooders that should have several females per male.

Haps - There are a large number of fish in this group with a wide range of needs. These are fish like the Protomelas, Placidochromis, Nimbochromis, Otopharynx, etc, etc. They vary in dietary needs. Fish like the Otopharynx lithobates feed of droppings of other fish. Nimbochromis and Dimidochromis speces are piscivores. Typically females lake coloration and are silverish in color. Often times they have three black dots on their sides. Males can be quite colorful and range in size from average to very large. Again, polygamous mouthbrooders.

Utaka - These are the Copadichromis species. Typically they live out in the open water and breed in the sand. Some breed on the open substrate while others breed in pits dug along side or under rocks. Males have the color, females don't. (See the pattern here. ) ;)

That's a quick, very general synopsis.
Tim

Pat Kelly

CCA Member
Staff member
Okay

Want Malawi tank?

Start with Yellow labs,
Some Demasoni,
Throw in a pair of Ruby Peacocks

Add water.
Stir.
Throw in NLS once or twice a day
And watch and enjoy.

Oh, Maybe the water should be first.

cyradis4

Members
Lol!

Actually, I got the fish before the TANK.... Well, before I had the tank set up. Those fish I got from the first auction were the first, and I had to set up their tank....

I'll look into the Ad Konnings book. He's going to be here in September, isn't he?

Thanks!
Amanda.

PS: The fish I got at the most recent auction are all doing well. My dog likes to watch them. All the fish (Cynotopia Afras and the calicos, forgot their name...) like to bicker and argue and so swim around a LOT.

SubMariner

Master Jedi & Past VP
I think Tim said a mouthful!

And I was going to cut and paste his synopsis from the net. DARN!

:smashfreakB:

You don't need the Konings book, you have Tim.

SubMariner

Master Jedi & Past VP
Amanda, follow your heart!

Different strokes for different Folks.

You have to decide what attracts you because every person has a different kind of fish they like. You might have to experiment a little. The Mbunas a beautiful, but very aggressive and you have to respect that.

The Peacocks are gorgeous and the Haps are radiant and wonderful swimmers.

You have to make the final decision. All we can do is walk you to the door, you have to actually walk through it.

SubMariner

Master Jedi & Past VP
I have a Tank of Mbunas and a separate tank of Peacocks and Haps.

So I am pretty happy for now. Keep asking questions, that is the wonderful thing about being a part of CCA is that you have friends in the Biz.

longstocking

Members
I wouldn't say lake Malawi fish like "hard" water. Lake Malawi's pH ranges from 7.8 to 8.6, with a total hardness of 4.0-6.0 dH. In the lake the hardness is pretty low IMO. Also.. the carbonate hardness ranges from 6.0 to 8.0.

hey do like a high ph though... but most of the time you can get away with anything higher than 7.6 The kh and the gh are what you should be watching. In our area our kh is around 3 to 5. Since it is so low.... you really need to buffer the water so the ph doesn't crash.

cyradis4

Members
ps saulosi is very active and pretty...

i am thinking of giving up my colony f1 for Jack dempsey blue one ! LOL[/b]

Lemme know if you decide to give them up... I might be interested.

Later!
Amanda.