• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Keeping Apistogrammas

marge618

CCA member
Is this a good plan for tankmates for apistos? Please comment.

20 Gallon tank

THE FISH AND INVERTEBRATES
The apistos:
1 pair apistogramma cacatoides GoLo/Orange (from Tony Orso)
1 pair Apistogramma Kra ... (The rest of name washed off the bag. These
fish are almost twice as big as the GoLo/Orange pair.)
1 pair Apistogramma Borelli

Other tankmates:
trio of A amieti killifish (from Tony Orso)
5 corydoras sterbai
6 cherry red shrimp
1 male betta

THE PLANTS
java moss
java fern
anubias (noname)
anubias barten
hygro corymbosa angustifolio

Marge

mscichlid

Founder
Marge, The only things you listed that would be okay are the plants and one pair of Apistos. The apistos will eat the shrimp, too.

I would suggest one pair of Apistos per 20 gallon, high or long. The latter being the better because of the bigger footprint of the tank.

Oh. I have found that cacatuoides hate killifish for some reason. IMHE

Francine

Sonny Disposition

I'd keep a close eye on the shrimp. Apistos fill a similar niche to Enneacanthus. I learned the hard way that Enneacanthus will track down shrimp that look way to large for them to swallow, and then swallow them anyway. (I'm just grateful that learning experience only involved grass shrimp.)

Bob

Sonny Disposition

I found pretty much the same thing with Nandopsis salvini and Florida flagfish. I'm thinking that since many kinds of cichlids and many killies stake out bottom territories, the two groups are in conflict. (I'd put my money on the cichlids.)

Francine
[/quote]

marge618

CCA member

Francine
[/quote]

Okay, the killifish will go elsewhere ASAP today. I put them in the apisto cacatuoides tank because I had no idea where to put them... and leaving them in the auction bags wasn't an option. The apistos look so small and fragile. How they can require so much space is beyond me.
Thanks
Marge

marge618

CCA member
I'd keep a close eye on the shrimp. Apistos fill a similar niche to Enneacanthus. I learned the hard way that Enneacanthus will track down shrimp that look way to large for them to swallow, and then swallow them anyway. (I'm just grateful that learning experience only involved grass shrimp.)

Bob[/b]

I see what you mean. They apistos keep circling the java moss and pushing their way through the soft strands of the plant. I have only been able to rescue one of the cherry red shrimp so far. (Oh, by the way, I did also set up a 1 gallon shrimp and java moss tank. I'm hoping that shrimp multiply faster than I make mistakes with them.)
Thanks
Marge

mscichlid

Founder
Please note that the shrimp require water changes and food. I have found that they like shrimp pellets that are designed for corydoras. He he? Sorry. I found a shred of humor in that. So what did you do with all the rest of the Apisto pairs?

One thing to keep in mind is that auctions can be a wonderous and dangerous place due to overzealousness on the bidders behalf. On the fly, when one buys cichlid pairs or individuals, you can split tanks with the new fish with other new fish (of the same water parameters) until you get set up. It is best to always keep in mind that you do not want to put newly acquired fish into established tanks. NO matter who they came from because even if you are convinced that the person you bought them from is a good fish keeper, new fish to your environment are more succeptable to disease because of the tremendous amount of stress of being bagged, handled numerous times, room temperture, the length of time they have been in the bag, whether they were fed that day when they were bagged, fluctuations of temperature; can and will succumb to diseases normally fought off. There are certain pathogens previlent in evey tank, at all time. Keep in mind your tank space availabilty, how long the new fish have been bagged and how long they can endure the environment until you can release them in an environment that promises good upkeep.

Your other apistos can be kept in bare bottom tanks with tap water. When you are ready to breed them is the time you match the species of apisto with its native environment. Also, some species are more prone to aggressiveness to their conspecifics (of their kind) and other fish similar in body shape.

An emergency tank set up that I use occasionally, is to fill a new tank with half the water of an established tank that has no visible evidence of disease, take a sponge filter from that tank and insert another sponge filter to replace the one you removed, fill the new tank with new water that has been dechlorinated, add a heater set to 80 degrees, cover the tank....cross your fingers.....No really...never cycle again!

If you are really, really, really, interested in Apistogramma go to http://apistogramma.com,(A previous CCA speaker, Ted Judy owns the site now) get a copy of the cichlid Atlas 1 (impossible, but I'll loan you mine), or 2 by Uwe Romer, the Complete book of Dwarf Cichlids by Hans-Joachim Richter, American Cichlids 1 by Horst Linke and Dr. Wolfgang Staek, http://www.pvas.com>articles. Of course, ask questions here and we'll do the best we can to help.

Francine

PS. I'll only loan you my books if you promise not to eat while you read and that you will return in a month in the condition I gave you it you.

We may have to start a library folks!

maddog10

Members
Cichlid Atlas I is SUPPOSED to be reprinted (if it hasn;t already). The original stock was destroyed in a warehouse fire. You may be able to find them now, I haven't looked in a while.

marge618

CCA member
One thing to keep in mind is that auctions can be a wonderous and dangerous place due to
An emergency tank set up that I use occasionally, is to fill a new tank with half the water of an established tank that has no visible evidence of disease, take a sponge filter from that tank and insert another sponge filter to replace the one you removed, fill the new tank with new water that has been dechlorinated, add a heater set to 80 degrees, cover the tank....cross your fingers.....No really...never cycle again!

Francine

We may have to start a library folks![/b]

Yes Francine. That's what I did. That's also how I ended up with such an assortment of fish in the newest tank... tanks...This is probably the most important tip I have received about fish EVER! Maybe this is how we should help new 'fish keeping friends' get a good start in the hobby. All that cycling is pretty much impossible when you come home with your first wet pets. The hobby stores sure don't help you get a new tank started.
Marge

ingg

Members
I keep a bag of those ceramic discs (mech? strat? whatever the little ceramic tube/disc things are) running in a canister filter as a spare cycling tool.

Start a new tank, pull that bag out, put it in the new filter and leave there for the first two weeks. Never had an issue yet.

And Apistos will flat out decimate shrimp. So will killies, for that matter. You want to look for upper level swimmers, or very small fish, for tank mates with shrimp. Microrasboras are pretty good, dwarf cories are said to be safe, otos, only a few others, for a breeding shrimp tank. Adults will fare better with some larger fish, but killies and apistos hunt dwarf shrimp down, adult shrimp or not.

marge618

CCA member
I keep a bag of those ceramic discs (mech? strat? whatever the little ceramic tube/disc things are) running in a canister filter as a spare cycling tool.

And Apistos will flat out decimate shrimp. So will killies, for that matter. You want to look for upper level swimmers, or very small fish, for tank mates with shrimp. Microrasboras are pretty good, dwarf cories are said to be safe, otos, only a few others, for a breeding shrimp tank. Adults will fare better with some larger fish, but killies and apistos hunt dwarf shrimp down, adult shrimp or not.[/b]

Ceramic discs sound like a good cycling tool.
Got it.... No Apistos or killies with the shrimp.
Thanks for the info
Marge

Spine

Members
Marge,
You want to give the Apistos a lot of hiding places. Use drift wood,rocks, or clay flower on the bottom of the tank. You could also use dried Oak tree leaves to litter the tank with.