• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

It's Good To Be Alive

JLW

CCA Members
I don't know how many people know this, but earlier this week, we had a major gas leak at the warehouse. Batfish Aquatics could easily have gone up in smoke. Or just :burnt: and :eek:ww: ... Fortunately, the fire department, Washington Power and Gas, EMS, and building maintenance were all quick to respond. While the heat was out for about 12 hours as a result, we didn't blow up, and we didn't suffer any major losses (one malfunctioning electric heater did burn up a tank... but, considering just how bad it COULD have been ....)

When I think of how close things came to an explosive end for Batfish... Well, It's good to be alive! We and our fish have all had close calls. So, How's this: E-mail us a (true) story of how your fish narrowly escaped death by your own hands (you dastardly villain!). Come on, every single one of us has /almost/ killed a bunch of fish. So, share the story. The best five entries received by noon Monday (eastern) will get 25% off! The single best will also get $20 credit. Email BatfishAquatics@gmail.com. Terms and conditions below apply.

<font size = -10,000,000,000 face = fine print>
May not be combined with any other discount or promotion. Must order by 15 March 2013. All decisions on winners are final. All entries become property of Batfish Aquatics and may be used or published. Winners agree to dress as Robin for hallowe -- okay, kidding on that last one, just seeing who's reading:)

eden2020

Members
WOW

Glad to hear you and the fish were safe .. scary stuff..

Does electrocuting myself unplugging a light for my fish tank count.. LOL

Actually kinda knocked the wind out of me.. That would have been a great surprise for my wife in the morning. Keep fingers away from thr grounding pin while pulling plug out..

-marc and family..

Frank Cowherd

Global Moderators
Staff member
Does it count filling the tank with ice cold water when doing a water change, then realizing it and doing the fastest water change ever to the right temp. Short story, happy ending.

MHMoro

CCA Members
Coming home and finding the fluorescent light immersed in a 40G tank with 4 beautiful (5") electric blue Jack Dempsey's and 2 green terrors.......fortunately all the fish survived.......

Manuel

rich_one

Members
How's this? Wife sat a glass of chardonnay on top of my fish tank, and I didn't notice it. I go to feed them, lift the top, and over goes the chardonnay, all in the tank. At first I'm worried, but then I'm thinking, eh... I just put in fresh carbon, harmful can a little wine be? I'll keep an eye on it. I went about my business, and went to bed.

Next morning, I come down, and all fish are at the top of the tank, gasping for air, and the tank is CLOUDY! OMG... WHAT HAVE I DONE???

Needless to say, I was late for work, as I did the fastest large water change in my history of fish keeping. Happy ending! LOL...

-Rich

dogofwar

CCA Members
Why Matt Doesn't Grow Plants by Matt Quinn

Back in the day (in the fishroom in my parent's basement*) I used shop lights to light the tanks.

I had glass hoods and pieces of 2" wood to elevate the lights over the tanks. It worked well for a couple of years....until...

I must have re-positioned a bubbling sponge filter such that it pushed the smallest amount of water through the super small gap between the glass and the edge of the tank slowly saturating the piece of wood...until...

The piece of wood was waterlogged, electricity was running through the tank looking for a ground...until...

I looked into the tank and the fish seemed kind of dazed. I stuck my hand in the tank to fiddle with something...and it shocked the crap out of me.

The moral of the story: Don't use lights on your fish tanks and don't grow plants!

The fish recovered fine after I unplugged the light. I banged my hand, tripped over a Rubbermaid stock tank and screamed for a few minutes. For the next couple of weeks I experienced anxiety any time I needed to put my hand in a tank (for real).

I remember this like it was yesterday but it was approximately 1989 (90?). Motley Crue's "Girl Don't Go Away Mad...Girl Just Go Away" (or something like that) was on the radio.

Matt

* First in a series of "Back in the day (in the fishroom in my parent's basement)" tales