• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Its Begun!!!!!

cyradis4

Members
Whats begun? Well, take a look!

Afranewbornfry02272008021.jpg

Aframommaandbabies_20080227_021.jpg

Aframommasideview02272008004.jpg

Aframommaprofile02272008023.jpg

Aframommafrontview02272008002.jpg

(in an aside, I took Bobby's comment to heart and found a way to get more light in that area, so the poor baby is no longer green, but her actual color).

Ok, now that Mike's "escapees" have arrived (there seem to be three of them), any idea how much longer till she spits the whole lot? Also, what should I feed the fry? They look bigger then most molly fry I've seen. They actually look almost big enough to eat the New Life Spectrum Growth formula.

Also, what else can I expect? This is the first time I've tried it this way. Before, I just left momma in the main tank and let the babies fend for themselves!!!!!

Amanda.

SubMariner

Master Jedi & Past VP
Amanda, New Life Spectrum does sell a baby food as well, but you can take what you have and crush it and then feed them. And of course, there will be other foods suggested by our members too. Crushed Flake food is good, but it tends to cloud the water more often then the crushed NLS.

Congratz! Looks like you've got lots of babies. Enjoy!!!

Well, like Pat said, the female will eventually spit them out faster if there were no other adults in the tank with her. Seems like she is still being over protective for a reason. I think as soon as you turn off the lights she let's the babies out to play...when it's safe. She still might be a little shy in your presence to release them. Also, babies tend to run to their mother and push there ways into her mouth because they are scared. There are times that the babies want to get out of the mothers mouth or they are just too big now for her to hold all them and they escape. Sound like you're having a fun.

Good Luck! :D

marge618

CCA member
I am having fun - vicariously that is! What fun to find one fry hiding under the pvc. Why doesn't it run back to the mom? Is it lost.. or just more independent than the rest. Oh, maybe there isn't room for everyone to 'get back in' after they were our the first time?

Good job Amanda. Keep posting the pictures!

Later,
Marge

SubMariner

Master Jedi & Past VP
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (maddog10 @ Feb 28 2008, 06:23 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I always fed them NLS Growth.[/b]

That's right Maddog! I love the NLS growth for fry, it's like Steriods or HGH for babies. If I remember correctly, I think Bob Polato told me not to feed NLS growth to adult cichlids because it's so potent.

Sonny Disposition

The difference is that NLS growth is 50 percent protein, wheras the other forumulas are a lot lower. Decapsulated brine shrimp eggs and microworms are also about 50 percent protein.

Because they're growing, baby fish benefit more from a high protein content than the adults do.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (SubMariner @ Feb 28 2008, 12:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (maddog10 @ Feb 28 2008, 06:23 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I always fed them NLS Growth.[/b]

That's right Maddog! I love the NLS growth for fry, it's like Steriods or HGH for babies. If I remember correctly, I think Bob Polato told me not to feed NLS growth to adult cichlids because it's so potent.
[/b][/quote]

maddog10

Members
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (cyradis4 @ Feb 28 2008, 12:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
So the newborns can eat NLS growth immediatly?

Amanda.[/b]

If it fits in their mouth, they can eat it right away. You can even crush the NLS Growth into a fine powder for smaller fry. You should be able to feed these right from the container, the fry should be large enough.

cyradis4

Members
She spit bunches more!!!!!!!

When I left for work at 7:30 am, only Mike's Escapees were there. When I called Dad and made him go check today at 2:30 ish, there were lots more!!!! He thought she had not quite finished spitting them all out.... She still had a bit of a bulge and was wiggling her jaw and yawning (thats what he said, at any rate). I tried to walk him thorugh taking a pic with my camera (which was sitting right there!!!!!) but he didn't have much time. (Note to self: teach him how to use it at the first opportunity). (Second note to self: find a bigger memory card, need at least 1 gig).

So I had him feed the babies New Life Spectrum Growth formula, and they did eat it. And I had him feed mommy, but she ignored it....... So I don't think she was done yet as she ate the NLS just fine back in the other tank.

So can't wait to get home from work today!!!!!

Later!
Amanda.

cyradis4

Members
Looks like she spit 20+ fry!!!!!

She's, as I have mentioned, a Cynotilapia Afra.

Hows 20 ish for number of babies for an Mbuna?

Later!
Amanda.

Pat Kelly

CCA Member
Staff member
20 is a good number. Being a small fish they don't have lots. I don't remember how many the Demasoni do but I would be satisfied with the 20. As she gets a little bigger you may get a few more but don't count on it. lol, Count on it.. I know I am the only one that gets me but , he he, I tickle myself. Congratulations.

This is a cool thread. Congrats to Amanda's successfu spawn. And a special thanks for her photography improvement. The photos really do this announcement good. After all it would have been meaningless if we had to use this smiley... :addpics2: