• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Help

wildman

Members
I bought the pair of Metriaclima estherae at the auction on Saturday. They seem very happy in their tank but they won't accept flake or pellet food. What do these guys eat?:confused:

lonlangione

Members
What size tank are they in? Are they the only ones in the tank? Was the tank newly set-up? Was the tank "cycled". All of this can have an effect on fish eating. Other wise, they should eat most anything.

Lonny

iamzrad

Members
You bought my Cobalt and Red zebra's.
(Which I must say you got at a steal!)

I fed them new life spectrum 1mm cichlid pellets. And twice a week they got brine shrimp as a snack.

I usually find that sinking pellets work best when trying to feed fish that are new to a tank. It seems like if you feed them floating pellets, they will not come up since they are a little shy. With the pellets sinking, they just dash out grab a couple and go back to their hiding spot.

Don't worry too much they will get hungry. They generally can go up to a week + without food. After a couple days they will settle down.

UNCLERUCKUS

"THE ALL POWERFUL Q !!
they are a tad stressed in their new enviornment probably. hunger will kick in soon and they will feed. nice pick up by the way! i was bidding against you for the beauties :p. phil raises nice fish so you can rest assured they will be worth it ;).

longstocking

Members
Fish that are used to NLS typically refuse other food for quite some time. YOu might want to pick up a small jar of it and gradually work your food into it. Eventually eliminating the NLS. Or just switching them over to NLS.

Fish can go a LONG timw with out food. 3 weeks or so...

I dont' recommend this... but don't get worried for quite soem time.

83 is a bit on the high side IMO....

iamzrad

Members
Hey Sarah, I keep my 75gal african tank at 83 to prevent ich.
But the temp varies with activity in the tank, lights, vents, etc. It usually stays around 81-83.

Good point on slowly adding it to their diet, then getting rid of it. Seems logical that it should work.
*Also noted, kind of wierd they didn't take the flakes. I fed them cichlid flakes as well.