• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Help Sex

No no no...dirty minds. I've been trying to figure out the sex of my Brichardis for a long time now. Does anyone have a way of doing this.

Again, my camera stinks and I'm getting a new one next week.......so excited

Fish026.jpg

longstocking

Members
Brichardi are REALLY hard to sex.

Did you get these when they were the same size?

Size is the best indicator. It looks like you have 1 male and 1 female.... the other one is too far away to tell. Just a guess though !

dogofwar

CCA Members
A male and female (foreground fish) is my guess as well. Relative size, body shape (female has rounder belly) and fin extension length (female's are slightly shorter), and (hard to tell in a photo) behavior are the best indicators. As is a pair of fish defending a cloud of fry.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (longstocking @ Jun 27 2008, 11:45 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Brichardi are REALLY hard to sex.

Did you get these when they were the same size?

Size is the best indicator. It looks like you have 1 male and 1 female.... the other one is too far away to tell. Just a guess though ![/b]

The one who I thought was the male is definetly bigger then the other two. They all stay together, and the male is always guarding one cave in the tank. I have checked that cave many times in hope of fry, however there are none. I'm thinking the two females are still too young though. Thank you for the comments

F8LBITE

Members
Dont worry, when they do sexually mature you'll know exactly who the M/F are!!!! Brichardi's are prolific breeders and it seems like they can reproduce in a 5 gallon bucket once they get rolling. It is cool to watch the pair defend their area as well as the older fry defending their little brothers and sisters.

dogofwar

CCA Members
I've had my best luck with Tangs (neolamps, julies, etc.) by leaving them alone: doing relatively small (~20%) weekly or bi-weekly water changes, not messing with the substrate / re-arranging things too much, not netting fish, etc. If you have a pair (and it sounds like you might), they'll do their thing when they're unstressed and comfortable...

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (snakeeyes03 @ Jun 27 2008, 04:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
They are Neolamprologus Brichardi....the big one is over a year old, and the other two are about 5 months old.[/b]