• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Gymnogeophagus Caaguazuensis- help with identifying male and female

christina

CCA Members
Does anyone know the water parameters of this ciclid? I have been able to find that they like a sandy substrate and fast moving water, but I can only find one mention of ph which was taken from water where they were collected as being 8.0, but I am not sure if this is correct. I have 5 juveniles, and would like to be able able to sex them, but so far the 2 with a lateral line are the most aggressive, and I thought that was the females (which are reported to not be as aggressive). Sorry about the lighting, I had to move the ?female? to a smaller tank as she was exhausting the other fish. I am new to this forum so let me know if this is the correct way to post this question.
Cheers,
Christina

IMG_1371.jpgIMG_1366.jpg

jonclark96

Past CCA President
Christina - Welcome to the forum.

I find the information on Cichlidroom Companion to generally be the most accurate and up to date info from a scientific perspective (and also from a hobbyist perspective, when available). They list the type locality information as:

Field observations at the type locality indicate that the habitats preferred by Gymnogeophagus caaguazuensis are bare sandy bottoms among rocky areas in small rivulets which may have a strong current during the rainy season. But during the dry season and the period of low water this species is found in pools and ponds with more or less stagnant water. Water data collected in February at the type locality: pH 7.9; electrical conductivity 240 ?S/cm; water temperature 24.2 °C. (Staeck, 2006).

I can't help you with the gender determination of the fish, as I've not kept them myself.

Becca

Members
To be honest, both of those fish look like juveniles to me, but it's hard to tell how big they are in the photos. They also look like different species because the markings are so different, but they could be very, very sexually dimorphic from an early age or they might be in very different moods.

Based on the belly and forehead shape, I'd say the top one looks male and the bottom one looks female.

christina

CCA Members
They are both juvenile, the top was the most aggressive of the group and had to be separated out, they were all bought at Londontowne Tropicals as wild caught gymno’s so I think they are the same species. They are already displaying and trying to find territory in the tank. I’ll keep you updated as they start to color out. Appreciate all the info!!!!

christina

CCA Members
Becca, in the tank room forum you had a picture of some type of goby, in a very planted tank, any idea of the species ( I apologize in advance of you have no idea what I’m talking about )