• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Grindals not working

captmicha

Members
I'm having trouble with grindal worms no matter what method I try. I never get enough going to harvest. I've tried different feeds. It's just not working.

I'm thinking I'll try top soil as the bedding in a bucket drilled on the bottom for drainage, inside another bucket. Then maybe nuked produce or just maybe oatmeal or expired fish food again. Anyone grow their grindals in top soil only in a bucket?

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Becca

Members
Check with Frank Cowherd. I had great success using his method. The other thing (this is REALLY important) is to keep them in a warm place. They don't do well in cool environments. I keep mine in a utility room that has the water and house heaters, plus several heated fish tanks. You have to harvest them when they've consumed almost all of the food and Frank advises harvesting once a day. Once the food is gone, they disappear.

mchambers

Former CCA member
I use both Frank's method (on sponges; no soil) and the potting soil method, in shallow plastic containers.

I prefer using multiple small containers, in case one culture crashes.

When summer comes, it's hard to keep tiny flies out of the cultures, even in my relatively cool basement. I'm still working on a solution for that.

Frank Cowherd

Global Moderators
Staff member
I keep grindals at 70 to 74 and get lots of them. I feed powdered (really just small particles not really powdered) fish food, about a teaspoonful, once a day. I have used dry pellet cat food in the past but like the fish food better. And I clean the sponges once a week. I take out the green scrub pads that contain the worms, then clean the container with the sponges and then clean the sponges. Then I reassemble the set up and add water to just below the top of the sponge.

I use grindals mainly to get breeders into spawning condition and to grow out fry I want to give a growth spurt to.

I have usually 3 or 4 cultures going all the time. Right now I have 9 going so I have extras if anyone wants to get one.

rsretep

Members
I use both Frank's method (on sponges; no soil) and the potting soil method, in shallow plastic containers.

I prefer using multiple small containers, in case one culture crashes.

When summer comes, it's hard to keep tiny flies out of the cultures, even in my relatively cool basement. I'm still working on a solution for that.

I have had problems with flies in my culture and have found that cheese cloth placed on top of container under the Tupperware lid, helps keep the culture clear of the flies, I usually double fold the cheese cloth. Jmho

captmicha

Members
I never get flies and don't have success with the soilless method either. I've tried different temperatures as well. I don't know why I suck with grindals so much.