• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Fyi Alife Fish Food.

Jumbie

Members
Hey everybody I just want to inform you, I was in Tropical Lagoon today and they now carry Alife fish food products. The big bottles are all in Taiwan but the small bottles (flake food) have writing in English on the back. I have heard really good things about this product on other forums so I thought I will try it out on my South American cichlids.

mscichlid

Founder
What were the results of this food? Did you find that your fish took to it right away? Have you seen any positive results from using the food?

BTW, it was nice meeting you at Julie's.

Francine

Jumbie

Members
It was great meeting you at Julie's as well. I really would have liked to get the fish you purchased for my own personal collection... but I know that you will enjoy them just as much as I would have! To tell you the truth, the only fish I used as guinea pigs were my Nandopsis tetracanthus, because they well eat anything LOL. My new/old purchased Apistogrammas will not take to pellet food Alife or NLS. When I first purchased my Tetracanthus', they were about 2 inches long; and I was feeding them NLS and they were doing great. I usually feed live black/blood worms, Brine shrimp, beef hearts, and NLS... but for the past 2 weeks, I have been substituting the NLS for Alife. There are two tings I do not like about Alfie; The first is how the pellet breaks down in the fishes mouth... and the second reason is the company uses a lot of meal filling in their ingredients (I.E. Fish meal). For example, when I watch them eat, I see some of the pellet debris suspended in the water and actually come out the side of their gills as they feed. It seems to me that when I feed NLS the fish consume the entire pellet. On the other hand the Nutritional information on the back of Alife has a higher percentage value than NLS... Some of the values are not that much higher than NLS.

So Francine, my opinion is NLS is a better product. Some people swear Alife is the best fish food out there... but I guess it's all personal preference... Personally I am an NLS kinda guy!

mscichlid

Founder
Hey Jumbie, I didn't know you were into dwarf pikes! Once I breed them there will be some fry for you.

I know what you mean about apistos not eating prepared food, but I find that if you don't feed them for a week and have other fish in the tank that eat flake and the like, they will soon take to the dried stuff.

Thanks for the info on the food. NLS (New Life Spectrum) seems to be the shiznet for fish. I still find it necessary to suppliment a fish's diet with the occasional live or frozen tidbits.

BTW, why don't you list what South Americans you have here! We all are curious about what fish other members keep.

Francine

Jumbie

Members
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (mscichlid @ Aug 6 2008, 05:22 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Hey Jumbie, I didn't know you were into dwarf pikes! Once I breed them there will be some fry for you.

I know what you mean about apistos not eating prepared food, but I find that if you don't feed them for a week and have other fish in the tank that eat flake and the like, they will soon take to the dried stuff.

Thanks for the info on the food. NLS (New Life Spectrum) seems to be the shiznet for fish. I still find it necessary to suppliment a fish's diet with the occasional live or frozen tidbits.

BTW, why don't you list what South Americans you have here! We all are curious about what fish other members keep.

Francine[/b]

LOL! You know I have been trying to post my SA list for the past few days but for some weird reason when I get home from work I never remember. The list will be posted today I promise.