• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

FX5 MODIFICATIONS

Jumbie

Members
I just got one at the Aquafest that I am going to set up after the holiday. I was reading the info on that site and I was going to try to see how the filter works before moding anything. I need to replace all the media; it really does coast a lot to get it started. DQ do you change your media monthly?

UNCLERUCKUS

"THE ALL POWERFUL Q !!
LOL @ PINKYTOE OOPS I MEAN MINIFOOT. HE CAN'T SEE THE TOP OF MY TANK SO HE'S MAD LMAOOOO. I CHANGE MINE EVERY THREE MONTHS. SOONER IF I NOTICE ITS NEEDED SOONER. IT ALSO DEPENDS ON WHAT YA KEEPING TOO. SINCE MINIFOOT FITS RIGHT UNDER THE STAND W\O STOOPING I HAVE HIM DO IT WHEN HE VISITS. ........*snickering*

F8LBITE

Members
I use a FX5 on my Malawi 125G. I dont change anything, I rinse the foam in tank water like a sponge filter and I filled the center chambers with biomax rings that I rinse in tank water too, put it back together and thats it. I use a Aquaclear 110 with sponges for extra polishing.

minifoot77

Members
LOL @ PINKYTOE OOPS I MEAN MINIFOOT. HE CAN'T SEE THE TOP OF MY TANK SO HE'S MAD LMAOOOO. I CHANGE MINE EVERY THREE MONTHS. SOONER IF I NOTICE ITS NEEDED SOONER. IT ALSO DEPENDS ON WHAT YA KEEPING TOO. SINCE MINIFOOT FITS RIGHT UNDER THE STAND W\O STOOPING I HAVE HIM DO IT WHEN HE VISITS. ........*snickering*

:addpics2:

:pound:

Jumbie

Members
So you guys don't use any of those fine particle polishers that they sell? After reading the directions they stress the use of these water polishers. I don't if they are just trying to push their product, or if it really does need to be applied to save the impeller.

F8LBITE

Members
So you guys don't use any of those fine particle polishers that they sell? After reading the directions they stress the use of these water polishers. I don't if they are just trying to push their product, or if it really does need to be applied to save the impeller.

negative. I put the fine pads in mine at first and it clogged it up like a big dog. You would have to service it every two weeks cuz the flow is reduced dramatically. I use mine more for bio than anything else but the foam around the sides traps alot of debris without reducing flow rate. :jumpy:

Jumbie

Members
You see that’s what I was thinking; I would like my FX5 to take care of all the debris floating around in the tank. I can't find a LFS that consistently carries the media, most places only have the foam or ammonia media, rarely do I see any of the other FX5 products. Where do you guys get your refills from?

UNCLERUCKUS

"THE ALL POWERFUL Q !!
I SEE THE REFILL FOAM AT PETSMART ALL THE TIME. ONLINE IS MUCH CHEAPER THOUGH. WAYYYY CHEAPER. I'M ABOUT TO INVEST IN SOME 20 PPI FOAM TO CUT AND USE INSTEAD OF FOAM BLOCKS TO CAPTURE EVEN MORE FINER PARTICLES AND DO THE JOB OF POLISHING PADS.

Jumbie

Members
I SEE THE REFILL FOAM AT PETSMART ALL THE TIME. ONLINE IS MUCH CHEAPER THOUGH. WAYYYY CHEAPER. I'M ABOUT TO INVEST IN SOME 20 PPI FOAM TO CUT AND USE INSTEAD OF FOAM BLOCKS TO CAPTURE EVEN MORE FINER PARTICLES AND DO THE JOB OF POLISHING PADS.

How much does it cost and when do plan on getting it? Will this slow it down like you mention earlier?

UNCLERUCKUS

"THE ALL POWERFUL Q !!
How much does it cost and when do plan on getting it? Will this slow it down like you mention earlier?
NOT SURE OF THE COST BUT FROM WHAT I CAN TELL THE 20PPI HAS 50% MORE HOLES PER INCH WHICH HELP GET MORE DEBRI OUT OF YOUR WATER. SIMPLY THE FOAM HAS MORE HOLES. ILL LET YOU KNOW.I HAVE THIS AS ONE OF MY PROJECTS.NOW THESE ARE NOT GOING TO SLOW YA DOWN. THE PRE FILTER STUFF IS A WASTE CUZ IN 7-10 DAYS ITS CLOGGED UP. STAY AWAY FROM THOSE.

Andrewtfw

Global Moderators
I use bio max rings in one chamber, cut up 405 pads in the middle chamber and now I use poly bio pad in the top chamber to keep my water free of the yellow stain from driftwood.
I used to use the blue filter pad that comes in a huge roll, but it blocked the flow of the fx5 and cut flow significantly.