• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

FS on CL (Aethiomastacembelus elipsifer)

This listing is not mine. I just thought someone may want this creature. There is not much known about their breeding so I am thinking this is a wild specimen. I would get it but I am awaiting some new Mobas in the next few weeks and can not spare a penny.

Eel for African Cichlid tank - $55 (Silver Spring)

Reply to: sale-xthw2-1211604518@craigslist.org [Errors when replying to ads?]
Date: 2009-06-08, 3:10PM EDT

I have a rare, and difficult to find, Aethiomastacembelus elipsifer (Elipsifer eel), for sale. These are freshwater eels that are found in Lake Tanganyika and are compatible with African Cichlids in a fish tank or aquarium.

The eel is about 8" long. I will try to post a picture later this evening, but google images can be used to readily view what these eels look like.

The eel is healthy and has done extremely well in my all male hap/peacock tank. I feed it blackworms.

• it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests

cool man congrats. I have read that most of these are wild caught. the breeding behavior is not that well known. Welcome. Its funny I saw your intro thread and thought about this post.

Yeah it really wierd i had been reading about the elipsifer for a few mos. I asked a few LFS if they could order one for me all of them said no or had no idea what i was talking about. Today i get a phone call from a buddy telling me he found one on craigs list what are the chances.

Thanks guys im excited! The guy i got him from had two one was eating pellets. The one i got he could only get to eat black worms. Im going to see what i can do. I live right next to a fish store so if i have to feed him black worms it wont be a big deal.

toddnbecka

Members
They'll also eat frozen bloodworms, brine shrimp, and small fish (culled fry, etc.) With a bit of patience you should be able to get the bugger onto pellets.

They'll also eat frozen bloodworms, brine shrimp, and small fish (culled fry, etc.) With a bit of patience you should be able to get the bugger onto pellets.

Do you have any recommendations on how to introduce other types of food? I am feeding him by putting a plastic bottle with gravel down into the tank with black worms so that he can get in but the fish cannot. I was thinking about putting a few freeze dried shrimp in there and see if he will eat them with the worms. Slowly I would put less and less worms more shrimp or pellets.

toddnbecka

Members
Start by mixing pellets with whatever else you place in the bottle. You can also extend the time between feedings; they don't need to eat daily, and greater appetite will increase the odds of pellets being accepted. I only fed my plagiostoma pair every 2-3 days and they were a looong way from undernourished.