• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Freshwater Stingrays

Localzoo

Board of Directors
How big is the barb? When I was in Belize the guide we had picked up a 3' wide stingray like It was his best friend but he approached from the front...the key I guess is to not startle it get it used to you or the sound of you...lol think horse don't approach from the rear.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

festaedan

potamotrygon fan
While a lot of people do, I'll be avoiding that... way too nervous about getting stung for now! LOL... I'll just stick to making sure food gets down to where he needs it. By the way, anyone know what kind of range those stingers have anyway?

-Rich

My ray has tried to sting me a few times but as long as you know where his tail is you dont need to worry. I just put some black worms in my hand and place my hand on the sand bed and my ray will swim over and gladly munch on his food.

rich_one

Members
Will,

No clue on the size of the barb. My ray is only going to be about 4" when he arrives in March.

Dan,

10-4 on that... though I'll probably just make sure I can get the worms to sink, and not tempt fate! LOL... but glad they can't fire them forward! LOL...

-Rich

festaedan

potamotrygon fan
lol, the stingers (thankfully) dont work well as missiles.
However, I have read that once rays are older they will shed their spine and grow a new one.

rich_one

Members
Dan,

How deep do you think I should make the substrate? I want the ray to be able to burrow in it, if it likes, but not so deep I can't see it!

-Rich

festaedan

potamotrygon fan
When my ray was in my 55 I had 3" and I never saw him. Thats how I almost got stung. I'd say no more than an 1" of sand. Thats enough for the ray to burry but you can still see part of him. But if you have any sand at all in the tank and the ray wants to hide, it will always find a way to bury himself.