• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

First Apisto Spawn!

Theresa_M

Members
A while ago I had a number of A. cacatuoides but went thru a rough period in the tank they were in and lost all but one female. Andy had been keeping her in his 5g community until Saturday when he got a male from the Twofishguyz. Very nice looking fish, acclimated well...the two fish checked each other out but after that seemed to go their own ways.

Yesterday we noticed the male staying in one corner of the tank. We thought he might still be adjusting to his new home, or that they weren't going to be a true pair. Spawning after only two days didn't cross my mind so it was a big surprise for me this morning to see the female in the cave with what looks like 50-60 eggs!

Nice surprise for Andy when he gets home from school this afternoon :D

cyradis4

Members
Nice going!

I remember the first time I got an egg layer to spawn successfully.... I'd gotten two Adult Angelfish from a local fish store, and three days later they spawned for the first time...... Truely great!

I think it might have something to do with the changed environment. If the tank parameters are right, even though they moved they do the dirty deed. I had a pair of Discus pair up and start spawning within 6 hours of being in a new tank. But they were trying to do it on a sponge filter in a tank with 4 other discus that was only 38 gallons (as I said, I'd just gotten them a few hours earler). So I interupted them, put them in a 20 gallon with a flower pot, and an hour later they were at it again!

Good luck with them!

Amanda.

Theresa_M

Members
The kids are really excited (me too :blush: ). The poor female was alone for so along...I guess she really wanted some companionship :wub:

I guess the cons breeding doesn't count lol Had eggs from them within two days of purchase as well...