• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Finally the 300 is home!!

Hawkman2000

Members
I would take the time to build the same thing out of lexan. Would look like it was factory made and you could show it off. I would also add a carbon tray and set up a 40b in the cabinet for a refugium/water change tank. That way you can pretreat and heat water for water changes and be able to separate a fish. If you do the plumbing right you could have the option to isolate filtration or have the water pass threw just buy opening and closing valves.

Hawkman2000

Members
Also, I will have another batch of Honduran red points ready for sale in 4 to 6 weeks. Dad is only 2.25" and his dorsl and anal fins already extend past his tail.

Tony

Alligator Snapping Turtle/Past Pres
I would take the time to build the same thing out of lexan. Would look like it was factory made and you could show it off. I would also add a carbon tray and set up a 40b in the cabinet for a refugium/water change tank. That way you can pretreat and heat water for water changes and be able to separate a fish. If you do the plumbing right you could have the option to isolate filtration or have the water pass threw just buy opening and closing valves.

Sounds sweet. Got any pictures?

creepyoldguy

Members
Little update- I measured for a glass baffle today and getting glass cut tomorrow. Haven't decided on socks or a drawer system yet. I decided to go herbie style for drains and i have my pipes cut

Last edited:

Hawkman2000

Members
Just to show you what can be done at home with lexan.

http://www.aquariumlife.net/projects/aquarium-sumps/76.asp

Whoeven built that one did a fantastic job. I just don't like the config. A refugium should able to be separeted from the system incase you are treating a sick fish. I would either go with a drawer config. (hats of for the magyverism on the rubermaid system), or build one like an Aqueon. I like the sock config. The prob with the Aqueon is that the foam is after the bio media, I would prefer it be befor. I would also add a carbon tray.

BTW, have you chosen your lights yet. Check these out.

http://www.1000bulbs.com/product/59062/BL-ECOT539.html

A dimmable 3-bulb t-5 HO ballast

I asked my boss (electricians) about a dimming timmer (florescant compatable) he sayd they are out their.

Also

http://www.ahsupply.com/96watt.htm

http://www.bigalsonline.com/product...=ComparisonShopping_Google&CAWELAID=388698092

LET THERE BE LIGHT!

creepyoldguy

Members
Thanks hawkwman. I have a pair of doal bulb striP lights that I'll be using until I sell my other tank. I'll use that money to upgrade to something but my lighting doesn't need to be anything special. I won't have plants because the rays will tear the roots outs of the substrate

creepyoldguy

Members
Update- got some free glass cut today. Due to the higher flowrate, my bubble trap will be 2" wide. I also have plumbed my drains. I have to run back to lowes to get the return lines. Here are a few pics

creepyoldguy

Members
2bedf6e7.jpg

It's all plumbed and now I'm waiting to fill w water

And after that it got quiet now most of the time that's not a good sign lol lol lol

For your sump size, something from the old days sump is minimum 20% of your tank size.

300 gallon = min. 60 gallon sump.

If you need bio balls, I've a few here and there, make a donation to the club and I give them to you,

Hans

creepyoldguy

Members
Whoops, been busy with it and forgot to update. All the pluimbing works just like it should. I'm going to have to cut the herbie pipe because I'm getting some airbubbles from the water falling over the overflow. THe quiet one 9000s that came with everything are junk! BOth of them make tons of noise and shut off several times when I plug them in, sometimes they do nothing at for a couple moments. Ive yet to build my sump, but it is going to be a 55g. I have my glass cut for my bubble trap at 8", and with 8'' of water in the sump, I still have tons of room to spair if the power goes out. I'll be using mostly (if not all) submerged rings. I have about a 5g bucket that I use now for my 240 that will be transfered over.

creepyoldguy

Members
Update-- moved it on the house last night. All plumbeb up w fish and it's running good. I bet the herbie method makes this 300 quieter than a 20l w a HOB ac ok it!