• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Filtration Rate

tgrogan

Members
Just curious to know if there is any "rule-of-thumb" for the number of times the tank water should be turned over. Specifically I have African Cichlids (sorry Francine), so I want to about that. My wife has a 20gall with three goldfish (1 comet, 2 choclate fantails).

I currently use HOB power filters but I am looking at getting a canister in the future, especially when I set up my breeding tanks.

Also, I am having to get more tanks for my upcoming batches of fry but I don't know if I have enough filters. I was considering the use of spnge filters only in the fry tanks and need any advise regarding whether that is enough.

mscichlid

Founder
I'm not a good source for rates as it sometimes depends on fish load, the type of fish and size of tanks. Personally, I would use an Aquaclear 200 (they have new numbers now) on that 20 gallon with the three gold fish. Those are the type of fish that generate a lot of waste. Keep in mind that filters take out the particles more or less. Basically, you want a filter that will pull a lot of poop. Therefore, you'll be cleaning the filter a LOT!. BTW, buy an extra sponge for the filter and take the charcoal packet out. Save it for removing meds.

Sponge filters are good for fry. If you have very alkaline water you must squeeze them out often. They have a tendency to clog in an alkaline environment.
But see, if you had South American's in acidic water you wouldn't have that worry. ^_^

tgrogan

Members
Sponge filters are good for fry.
Does that imply that I can use them as the only filter for my fry tanks? :huh:

As for the Goldies, we have my old Whisper 60 on it. I have an AC 500 on my 55gallon tank.