• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Does this look like a yellow lab to you?

UNCLERUCKUS

"THE ALL POWERFUL Q !!
omg sonny you need to take that gly fish to the nearest uncle ruckus tank you can find:D. that fish is something nobody wants man get rid of it! ROTFLMAOOOOOOOOOOO ..... seriously sonny that is a pretty fish regardless of its lineage. if you ever want to get rid of them gimme a holla ;) im no pro by any means but the 2 you have there are vibrant and look great. you did a nice job w/ them. what did you feed them?

oh well they are great fish to watch as with all of the others, lol. I was very curious, because the male has a black mask that goes away if it is in a different mood. Then the other female looked really light too. Its not really bad news either. I am not looking to distribute the fry anyway. :) Thanks for your opinions.

Hi Patrick -

They also don't look right to me, though I think they look a bit more like Labidochromis than Sonny's do. You can check the links I posted above in the thread for comparison.

The last link I posted above is clearly not a Labidochromis in my opinion, yet it is from a breeder selling them as pure Labidochromis from wild-caught stocks. The best I can tell it is from a Metriaclima x Labidochromis hybrid line selected for Labidochromis coloration.

Unfortunately, I think either intentionally or unintentionally some breeders produce hybrid pools and then pull fish out and name them based on their coloration. You have to look at morphology as well to make a good determination.

Sorry to add to the bad news!

They all can't be as pretty as my little lab...

PrettyLab.jpg

...almost four years ago. :rolleyes:

readebruce

Members
Hey Patrick -

Based on what you said:

I was very curious, because the male has a black mask that goes away if it is in a different mood.

I'm wondering if you have yourself a Labidochromis caeruleus x Metriaclima zebra 'gold' hybrid. The gold zebras are bright yellow and have dark faces that change in intensity depending on how amorous they are feeling. They also both occur at the same collection site in the lake... hmmmmm...

Pure speculation of course!