• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

????Does anybody (in the world) keep North American Cichlids ????

kewx

Members
Does anybody (in the world) keep North American Cichlids like we keep Africa, Central and South American cichlids? Aren't bluegills, pumpkinseeds and other bream cichlids? Aren't they colorful? How about hybrid North American Cichlids?

mscichlid

Founder
I don't know about that. I was under the impression that these species are considered natives, and not really cichlids but more 'cichlid like'. NANFA

What about it Bob? Am I wrong?

kewx

Members
Native to us in North America but exotic if you live in South America, Europe, or Africa.

kewx

Members
Yes,you are right, "cichlid like" but I'm still curious if people in other countries consider them exotic and keep them like we keep cichlids.

dogofwar

CCA Members
Sunfish are big in europe - Jeff rapps has them in stock every now and again

they're not true cichlids but fill a similar role in the ecosystem as some cichlids

the only true and native north American cichlid is hericthys cyanoguttatus the Texas cichlid, as far as I know. I've kept and bred them several times over the years

Matt

kaj41354

Members
At OCA Eric Bodrock was talking about his recent trip to Norway. He took a few native fish with him and everybody was drooling over them

dogofwar

CCA Members
Jeff has some right now @ www.tangledupincichlids.com

Lepomis megalotis 2.5-3” 15.00 incredibly colorful, North American native ‘long ear sunfish’

It's funny - people like what's exotic. In Uruguay, very few people are interested in their native fish (pet stores have fancy guppies, goldfish, swordtails, etc.).

I've tried to get into native fish a couple of times. Back in the day I even got a BAP award for them (I think you had to breed 5 or 6 different kinds). I remember breeding Texas cichlids, rainbow darters, native mollies, a couple kinds of mosquito fish...and the rest escape me :) Don't think I ever tried sunfish, though...

Matt

Cartel

Members
I personally think some native fish can look really nice just never thought about trying them. I know my neighbor has a bluegill and it has alot of personality and neat colors.

UNCLERUCKUS

"THE ALL POWERFUL Q !!
Sunfish...bluegill...crappie...yellow and white perch all are very colorful native fish I agree. I've seen vthem in a aquaquarium before. I see them more in coolers though.

Sonny Disposition

Hi. Mexico is in North America, so yes, there are cichlids native to North America. The northernmost (naturally occurring) cichlid is the Rio Grand cichlid, found in the border area of Texas and Mexico.

Centrarchids (sunfish, bass, and crappies) are not cichlids, and are in an unrelated family.

There are some similarities between the two groups, but also some major differences.

Hope you like my Avatar.

Does anybody (in the world) keep North American Cichlids like we keep Africa, Central and South American cichlids? Aren't bluegills, pumpkinseeds and other bream cichlids? Aren't they colorful? How about hybrid North American Cichlids?

danger_chicken

Swim Fishy Swim!
I've wanted to keep some native fish but always wondered if the water temp would be too high. Tanks at my house without heaters stay at 72 even in the winter.