• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Do You Strip Or Let Her Spit???

Ok guys,

Being that I screwed up the last time my Sunshine was holding, I don't want to make the same mistake twice. She has been holding approximately 20 days. I have read different opinions on when to strip the fry from her.

My question is...Do I let her spit them out, or do I strip her??

If I strip her, when do you guys think I should do it??

HELLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLP!!!

dogofwar

CCA Members
I let my females spit. Ideally I give them their own 20g with a couple of flowerpots and plants for cover.

When I see that the female has spit her babies, I remove her to a net breeder in the same tank and fatter her back up for a few days.

The fry remain in the grow-out tank.

I re-introduce the female to the main tank during a water change / gravel vac.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (snakeeyes03 @ Jul 14 2008, 06:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Ok guys,

Being that I screwed up the last time my Sunshine was holding, I don't want to make the same mistake twice. She has been holding approximately 20 days. I have read different opinions on when to strip the fry from her.

HELLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLP!!![/b]

Jumbie

Members
Good info I also have my first Sunshing holding and today is day one. They hold for about 30 days or so yeah?
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (dogofwar @ Jul 14 2008, 07:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I let my females spit. Ideally I give them their own 20g with a couple of flowerpots and plants for cover.

When I see that the female has spit her babies, I remove her to a net breeder in the same tank and fatter her back up for a few days.

The fry remain in the grow-out tank.

I re-introduce the female to the main tank during a water change / gravel vac.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (snakeeyes03 @ Jul 14 2008, 06:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Ok guys,

HELLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLP!!![/b]
[/b][/quote]

I am pleased to tell everyone that I got my first group of fry. My sunshine spit (with a little help) 32 fry this afternoon. These little guys are pretty cute. I can't wait to see what they grow up to be.