• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

decapsulated bbs

Jmty

Members
how that work and what is better ??? regular eggs or decapsulated,to do or not to do??? thanks

Last edited:

zackcrack00

Members
get the Sanfrancisco Bay brand hatch mix, and put it with 32oz of hard, alkaline water with an air stone in a container. Make sure the temp is AT LEAST 78F but 80F-86F is preferred. Wait 24 hours to hatch.

mchambers

Former CCA member
Using decapsulated BBS is easier. You just need to rehydrate some and then add it to the tank. I use it for all sorts of fry.

I'm not knocking live brine shrimp, but decap BBS is a lot less muss and fuss.

Jmty

Members
any special brand on the decapsulated eggs,since majority agrees on decap.and thanks for responses.

MarkK

CCA Members
Back in the early '90's I used to hatch brine and at that time eggs were cheap and the hatch rates were high. But due to climate change, eggs have astronomically increased in cost and hatch rates have dropped. From what I have read, decapsulated eggs should have the same or better energy as newly hatched.

Method: I take a plastic cup half full of tank water and put 1/16 or 1/8 teaspoon (a little goes a long way) decapsulated eggs into it and wait 5 minutes and then use a turkey baster to first create a suspension of decap in the cup by squirting the mixture into itself, then I pull out a baster full and direct it towards the fry.

I may have several similar tanks of fry at one time so I might squirt some into each of several tanks. I am not concerned about mixing tank water from one tank to the next since all my tanks have the same chemistry.

Depending on fry size, I also feed micro-worms. Micro-worms are very easy to raise and maintain, unlike baby brine shrimp.

captmicha

Members
There was a study done, I think, or maybe it was just observations, that angel fish fry passed dried, decapped eggs whole so they didn't obtain much nutritional benefit from it. *I think* I could be wrong, I have a sucky memory.

I feed decapped eggs but only wet, not dried. If you dry them or buy dried, you might want to soak them in hot (not boiling) water before hand so they plump and soften up.

I also decap eggs when hatching so I don't introduce the shells to the tanks.

None of my fish seem to be really big on just the eggs.

If anyone wants to split a canister of eggs from Kens (or somewhere else), plmk. I don't want or need a whole pound.

Becca

Members
Me too, although I usually rehydrate the BBS with some larger Golden Pearls in the same bottle, and feed the two together. Pure llaziness.

I've also been using freeze dried Cyclops that I got from Sam in his liquidation sale:

http://www.kensfish.com/aquarium-supplies/fish-food-feeders/freeze-dried-cyclops.html

They don't sink as well, however.

Well, I'll be... I didn't know you were supposed to rehydrate them. I've been using them and golden pearls to feed my N. aureocephalus fry, plus microworms. I also use the decapsulated eggs and golden pearls to feed my daphnia culture. Yes, it is more expensive than pureed peas, but no, I do not have to clean the blender - nice, since Isaac doesn't need his peas turned to mush these days.

Plenipotentiary-at-large
Well

Hard to imagine that they wouldn't rehydrate from simply being put in a tank of water and/or being swallowed by a fish and additionally being subjected to acidic enzymatic action, eh? Everything I raised was fed exclusively on first bites and/or golden pearls and decap BBS that was never re/pre-hydrated.