• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Cross Species Breeding

cyradis4

Members
Hi!

I'm rather worried about cross species breeding.

In one tank I have:
(2) (male/female) Metriaclima Hajomaylandi
(2) Albino Aulonocara Jacobfreibergi
(1) (male) Cynotilapia Afra Blue Reef

Will they cross breed?

Also, if I put either
(2) male Labeotropheous Trewavasae or (1) female Labeotropheous Trewavasae in with them, will any of these species be able to hybridize?

I already assume that the Cynotilapia Afra Blue Reef would LOVE to hybridize with my Cynotilapia Afra Puluus, which is why he is NOT in with them....

If any of these guys are able to hybridize, I will separate them. But if they won't, then I like the tank just fine the way it is..... :woman2:
And yes, I know the Peacocks and the Mbuna have different diets... They are all getting New Life Spectrum at the moment.

In another tank, I have a bunch of Pseudotrpheous Salousi and some Lab. Caeruleus, about 1" or so. Will THEY try to hybridize when they get older, and would they be inclined to hybridize with any of the other species listed above?

Also, I think it might be nice to have a general discussion on Hybridization, and what species will or won't do it.

Thanks!
Amanda.

This is interesting because it reminds me of my early days of keeping Africans (about twenty years ago). I had a tank full of everything. Haps, Peacocks, Mbunas, Tanganyikans, you name it. I also had a lot of breeding going on. It is my oppinion that when a pair of the same species is doing their thing, a male from another breed will butt in and try to fertilize the eggs. I am guessing it doesn't take much effort to spoil a good thing. I had some really strange offspring from the mbunas and the peacocks. So, with that said, if you want to breed, don't mix 'em. :rolleyes:

cyradis4

Members
Yea.... I thought as much.... I'll start getting them separated out. I find it interesting that literally anything can happen, I would have thought them a little more discriminating!!! But, then again, look at humans! :happy0007:

Thanks!
Amanda.

Tim

Members
Nothing you listed should hybridize provided the tank is large enough. In smaller tanks, any dominant male can become hyperdominant. That's where they view the entire tank as their space and they'll breed with anything. In a 75 gallon tank or larger, there's little chance of those species cross breeding. (Even if you add the Labeotropheus to the mix.) Just avoid species that are similar in coloration and shape. Your P. saulosi in with the L. caeruleus should be safe as well. (Again provided the tank is large enough. 55 gallons mabye.)
Tim

cyradis4

Members
Thanks!

Next question: Could I put the males together with no females in a 40 breeder? It would be 2 male Labeotropheous Trewavasae, 1 male Metriaclima Hajomaylandi, and 1 male Cynotilapia Afra.

Thanks!
Amanda.

Tim

Members
You could try it and see how it goes I suppose. Labeotropheus are pretty strict algae grazers and get very territorial as they grow. In a 40 breeder, I would think either the M. hayjomaylandi or the Labeotropheus would become dominant and systematically kill off the other species in the tank.
Tim

maddog10

Members
I would think that to even try and make this you would need at least two or three times more fish. Aggression will be high (more than likely) so all you can really do, is spread it out. Give it a shot, but be ready to move everyone out at a moments notice.