• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

columbian tetra compatibility

neut

Members
That discus life history article is a great resource imo, establishing, as you pointed out, that they have digestive systems "typical of a cichlid with a dominantly vegetarian, detritivorous, or omnivorous diet" and showing how they must adapt to varying environmental conditions, food sources, and protein/live food intake vs. veggie intake in the wild, all changing with the seasons. (Like most fish, I consider them to be omnivorous in captive conditions.)

Another great discus resource is the stuff Heiko Bleher has published (alluded to by JLW above, Heiko has personally discovered something like more than 3000 species of fish if my memory serves me), as Heiko has spent decades studying discus in their natural habitat. He has a two volume set of discus books (expensive). Or you can find some interesting basic information:
Discus guide article 1

Discus guide article 2

Discus temperature article

What's revealing from the Heiko articles is that wild discus live in a range of pH and temperature conditions. Not all of them come from low pH, high temperature habitat, with Heiko having found some blue/brown discus in temperatures as low as 74.3 degrees. Clearly, at least some wild (and many domestic) strains are adaptable to a range of water conditions (which I also found to be true in my personal experience).

zcfish

Members
Here's the some so-so picture of the Discus. They're in quarantine now so only a very warm colored CFL on the tank. Sorry for the picture quality my camera is working really hard with ISO 1600.

P1215014.JPG

P1215018.JPG

P1215019.JPG

P1215026.JPG

P1215030.JPG