• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Cleaning Tank Glass

Pete

Members
I typically use a paper towel and warm water to wipe down the outside glass of my tanks, but never seem to be able to get them spotless.

Does anyone have any recommendations?

Pat Kelly

CCA Member
Staff member
Windex.</span>

I know. NEVER USE GLASS CLEANER. I know.
<div align=\'center\'> :confused0054: :confused0068: :confused0068: :confused0068: :confused0068: :confused0068: :confused0068: :confused0068: :confused0068: :confused0068: :confused0068: :confused0068: :confused0054: </div>
I do it anyway.
I spray the towel and do not get it in the water. I know.

Everyone will be mad at me for this but........you asked.....</span>

I do the same thing. I have never had a problem so I will continue to do so even after the nukes come out of their holes and Will Robinson blows up another planet.

WINDEX

Its whats for dinner.....

longstocking

Members
I use car window cleaner :lol: Cheaper than Windex and does the same job. Infact better :)

Most of the time I use white vinegar.

Windex dries too fast and leaves streaks :p And it's not "planet friendly"

Pat Kelly

CCA Member
Staff member
PhishyPete, I am not making light of the subject, just the hobby about this.
The general rule is to never have glass cleaner anywhere near your tank.
If you go to a fish show you will be removed from the show room if you had some with you. But most of us use it anyway. I always use it before taking pictures.
Just don't spray it into the water.

Oh and when doing an upper tank, remember the one below it may get the mist or drips.

Just use caution.

pat

Sonny Disposition

I'm really not great at keeping up with this. There are neat fish keepers, and then there's me.

Anyway, on the few occasions when I've cleaned glass, I just put some white vinegar on a paper towel, wiped the glass with it, and then dried it with another paper towel.

mscichlid

Founder
The best cleaner for the outside of your tank is vinegar. Get a cheap spray bottle from the dollar store or a more expensive one from Target. Fill it with white vinegar and use paper towels or newspaper. If the water spots are persistant because of a little calcium, use a soap free srubby pad, from the dollar store, and use that before wiping the glass dry.

dogofwar

CCA Members
Another tip is to use a squeegee (spelling?). I got one from the dollar store.

I use a clean, wet rag to clean off any food / gunk and get the glass wet...and then use the squeegee. Not perfect, but quick and efficient :)

Dry newspaper is also a great way to clean glass.

Charlutz

Members
I use lemon juice mixed with water to get off the hard water marks. Vinegar didn't work for me, but lemon juice did the trick.

longstocking

Members
Lemon juice is an acid makes sense.... infact I clean my bathroom with it sometimes.

Not to harp... but you don't need to breath those toxic fumes in order to be clean... and planet friendly. Half of those products are the same thing :lol:

maddog10

Members
Use lemons!!

What about how the farmers abuse the migrant workers that harvest the lemons, you want to support that! :angel2:

:p :happy0007:

lonlangione

Members
A new single edged razor blade will work on some spots as well. Yep, I use windex as well. And I also break another cardinal rule. I use nothing but chlorox to clean my tanks. I have one of those cheap pump sprayers Francine was talking about full of the stuff right next to my sink in the fishroom. I have even been known to bleach a whole tank of gravel if it gets covered with algae. Just rinse it off and use a tad more dechlor when filling the tank back up.

Lonny

Julie

Members
<span style="font-family:Comic Sans MS">I often have to resort to scraping the glass with razor blades.. after using windex or whatever cleaner sprayed on a papertowel to get rid of the oily residue. THEN... *drum roll please* I use the microfiber cloths to wipe down the glass. It's amazing, esp when used regularly. Windex or other cleaners seem to leave that slightly greasy/streaky film on the glass. The cloth gets it right off. Can get them at any cheapo place like KMart, usually in the car dept.</span>