• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Cichlid with an attitude

F

flyfisher

Ive got one Neo ocellatus gold that I bought from Ron where everytime I put my hand in the tank near his shell he will attack it. I think its very interesting how defensive this cichlid is of its territory. All the other cichlids will retreat to there shells while this one is defiant and stands it ground.

JustRon

Members
you are lucky, my rhombeus would not be so easy when you stick your hand in the tank. He attacked the dogs tail through the glass earlier today................ :p

C

Charlotte

I too am amazed to see how some of the shell dwellers act. If you have a pair this is usually the first sign you'll see to know if they are guarding eggs. But if you have only one, it could be a female that laid eggs even though there is no one there to fertilize them.
We have a rather full sized one that attacks the vacuum tube every time we stick it in the tank.

Of course Ron's piranha does try to eat the dog any time he gets near the tank, but that piranha has quite the attitude, but don't we all? :D