• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Chlorine And The Python Vac

marya

Members
Hi all. We're still waiting for baby around here. I have a doc appt on wednesday when they will hopefully choose an induction date. :rolleyes:

On a completely different note, our well dried up and we had to get a new one drilled this week. Talk about perfect timing, right? The new well has been chlorinated. It's not permanent but for a little while I will need to de-chlorinate for tank water changes, something I've never had to do before. I use the Lee's version of the Python to clean my tanks. From what I understand, what most people do when refilling is to just add the chlorine neutralizer right into the water as it pours from the vacuum into the tank. Is this what you all do/recommend? Or is it better to vac the tank, then fill a bucket with the clean water, add the neutralizer into the bucket, then pour the bucket into the tank?

Thanks all

Cristy

Members
I put in the declor as the new water starts going into the tank.

I've heard that there is some risk of the tiny bubbles that come from the tap getting lodged in the fish and killing them. I've never had that happen in the years that I've used the Python. Has anyone actually witnessed this happening?

Pat Kelly

CCA Member
Staff member
I use the python to fill and add the drops right to the tank... I do 50% water change. As I start the filling I add as many drops as the bottle calls for. I usually only fill about 1/2 the amount, then wait about 30 minutes and do the other half while adding more drops. In other words, I double the amount of drops that it calls for. In filling 1/2 at a time, I can check for any abnormal behavior from the fish. I find its less stressfull. Just my way of doing it.

Steve

Members
Marya,

I am confident that if you initiate 50% water changes for ALL your tanks (AND if you drain the water from all the tanks before filling them back up) the baby to decide to "head out" just about when you get the hose running back into the first tank.

To fill a big tank after a water change, I often pour the dechlor right into the tank and turn on a hose.

And, if I'm lucky, I manage to not be distracted and remember that I've got a hose running into a tank, which eliminates the one-act (one-scene, really) play:

"Hmmm."
"What's that sound?"
"Oh ****!!"

Cheers,
Steve

C

Chuck & Veronica

Originally posted by Steve@Mar 28 2006, 12:24 PM
And, if I'm lucky, I manage to not be distracted and remember that I've got a hose running into a tank, which eliminates the one-act (one-scene, really) play:

"Hmmm."
"What's that sound?"
"Oh ****!!"

Cheers,
Steve
It's happened to me before, but fortunately only on a 10g. The worst spill I ever had was that the utility room sink where the python/faucet water was exiting got clogged and the whole darn sink filled and overflowed before I realized what was happening. :blink:

Chuck

marya

Members
Thanks all. I did water changes today adding the neutralizer before I refilled and all looks well.