• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Check out the Pomacea paludosa I collected in the Everglades!

msjinkzd

invert junkie
These big apple snails are awesome,a nd completely illegal to ship across state lines, so hard for most people outside of Florida to obtain. When visiting the Everglades, I happened to stumble across several clutches and adults which I brought home. The clutches hatched today, and the adults are making snorno as we speak.
These are voracious plant eaters, but they are so large (getting to baseball sized) that they are a good pairing in a lot of tanks that otherwise could not have snails. I have them in with my Cuban gar, who eyes them as if he is afraid they will eat him for dinner.
If you are curious about the trip I took, I have TONS of pictures from Fish Farms, Segrest Farms, the Aquaculture Lab of UF, and more on my website:
http://msjinkzd.com/news/
Big flapple.jpg

1008199_10200780603390757_719420115_o.jpg
^this cup is a softdrink cup from a fast food chain that Chuck davis had in the back of his car. I borrowed it to transport them until I could pick up something better. Shows their diameter nicely though.

Big flapple.jpg

1008199_10200780603390757_719420115_o.jpg

They look like garden snails on steroids! I wonder how they would taste with some garlic and butter :lol::wacko::lol:

Arlene

msjinkzd

invert junkie
Their foot is quite edible. I haven't tried this species, though.

Ironically, the genus was introduced into Asia from its native South America to be a food crop, but was not found to be particularly practical and became invasive, decimating many of the more typical food crops found there.

Plenipotentiary-at-large
How about that...

These big apple snails are awesome,a nd completely illegal to ship across state lines, so hard for most people outside of Florida to obtain.

Lucky that you live in Tallahassee. Sure would like to not have a few.