• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Characins

Ading522

Members
Hello guys.. i have 8 von rio orange tetras/ flame tetras in a 20 X high tank with my two bolivian rams-male and female, some shrimp, and two corys.. the tetras are about 1-1.5 " in length.. my water parameters are a consistent NH3/NH4 of 0PPM; NO2 of 0PPM ; NO3 of 0PPM and varying water temps of 75-78 F.. i have noticed the tetras dont usually shoal or school together, and one or two seems to chase the rams and fellow tetras away.. any ideas as to what is wrong? should i thin the tank stock? or add more von rios? also the male bolivian ram seems to have lost his vertical stripes.. i assume he is stressed by being chased alot.. i have read that i need at LEAST 6 tetras to go together, but it seems that 8 doesnt even work..

help? advice? suggestions?

Andrew

Members
I would add more tetras. The bigger the group, the more they will focus on each other. I would think that the Bolivian Rams will get big enough that they won't be bothered by the tetras at some point.

Ading522

Members
I would add more tetras. The bigger the group, the more they will focus on each other. I would think that the Bolivian Rams will get big enough that they won't be bothered by the tetras at some point.

well.. orange rios arent that easy to come by in most shops.. but thanks! i will try that and see what will happen..thanks!

Ading522

Members
I thought I saw some at Rick's in Frederick last week.

thats a little far to drive from where i am.. i got mine from HOT in glen burnie.. even took the whole bunch.. i will visit them again this week, or head to congressional aquarium in rockville or tropical lagoon.. thanks for the heads up though!

Greengirl

Members
I have one pair of tetras left. But they get on well and have such a good thing going I think adding more will ruin the relationship. But if their club isn't settled you could always make it a party.

Tony

Alligator Snapping Turtle/Past Pres
It's tough to get decent schooling behavior in a 24" tank.

In a larger body, a group of fish swimming all within LOS of each other is schooling.

Ading522

Members
It's tough to get decent schooling behavior in a 24" tank.

In a larger body, a group of fish swimming all within LOS of each other is schooling.

thanks tony, but what about the fish in stores such as house of tropicals? they do have tanks that would be equal or lesser than 24" in length.. but they do seem to school pretty much.. is this due to almost overstocking in the tanks?

jonclark96

Past CCA President
If you put 20 fish in a 10 gallon tank, they will look like they are schooling. Store tanks are made to sell, not offer natural behaviors.

Jeff721

Members
I have found that my shoaling (not true schooling fish as most characins aren't) only school tightly when there is a predator present. I saw the best "schooling" behavior when I had angelfish in the tank.

When they are comfortable, they spread out and relax. Some of the males "spar" with one another. This is natural.

Like others have said, in a 24"-36", heck even in a 48" aquarium this won't look like schooling, it will just look like a bunch of fish leisurely spread throughout the tank.

I do not condone putting the fish under stress, however, that's when they want to be closest. Instead take joy in the fact that they are happy and healthy...and spread out.

Ading522

Members
I have found that my shoaling (not true schooling fish as most characins aren't) only school tightly when there is a predator present. I saw the best "schooling" behavior when I had angelfish in the tank.

When they are comfortable, they spread out and relax. Some of the males "spar" with one another. This is natural.

Like others have said, in a 24"-36", heck even in a 48" aquarium this won't look like schooling, it will just look like a bunch of fish leisurely spread throughout the tank.

I do not condone putting the fish under stress, however, that's when they want to be closest. Instead take joy in the fact that they are happy and healthy...and spread out.

So you're saying my tetras are pretty much comfy in their environment? Hence the "sparring" ? I know the first time I put them in with the rams they were together..so it kinda makes sense that they aren't now since my rams are not mindful of them..my concern is them chasing the male ram that he has lost some color..this shouldn't be anything related to territorial issues right? Because I don't know if characins such as tetras even do that..

Plenipotentiary-at-large
Not out of charac(in)ter

LFS tanks are typically way overstocked and the fish are often in a state of near panic so they often cluster. A 20 high is not a big tank for active fish so am not sure more will resolve your issue, but as indicated Bolivian rams are tough little hombres and once they get some more size on them the tetras will back off - just make sure they get enough to eat and that there's enough plants/hardscape to allow them to isolate themselves if they so choose. As rams tend to be bottom dwellers and tetras mid-upper water denizens, this should work out fine given time.

Ading522

Members
LFS tanks are typically way overstocked and the fish are often in a state of near panic so they often cluster. A 20 high is not a big tank for active fish so am not sure more will resolve your issue, but as indicated Bolivian rams are tough little hombres and once they get some more size on them the tetras will back off - just make sure they get enough to eat and that there's enough plants/hardscape to allow them to isolate themselves if they so choose. As rams tend to be bottom dwellers and tetras mid-upper water denizens, this should work out fine given time.

ok.. thanks.. il keep my tank the way it is right now.. will work on getting more plants.. bought some ceramic caves from cabinetmaker david glover, and hopefully that will work soon.. thanks for the advice!