• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Canister Filters

DiscusnAfricans

Past President
I'm in the process of upgrading some filtration systems on my tanks and wanted to get people's opinions/reviews on canister filters they have used. There are quite a few different brands and types on the market, and I'm sure some are better than others. What have you used and what did you like/dislike about each? If you had to pick just one to use, what would it be? Interested in performance vs. cost, and ease of use/maintenance. Thanks.

UNCLERUCKUS

"THE ALL POWERFUL Q !!
ive only used a fluval fx5. imo its perfect. it pushes the water, filters the water, and its little to no maintenance at all. i havent used any others. the only thing that does a better job to me is my wet dry.

Eheim is a good canister, especially the pro series. I have the classic eheim 2217 and 2 of the pro II 2028 series. Of course these filters were inherited through fish steals I mean fish deals. All works great, haven't had any problems with them. I have a used fluval 404 I haven't used yet, but plan to put on another tank. The only thing about the fluvals that I heard from one of my clients that if the top cover ever gets a crack in it you would want to replace, due to the fact that his power went out and the water overflowed through the top cover. I guess this probably can happen with any canister when there's been some type of damage. Just my 2 cents.

Gerard

UNCLERUCKUS

"THE ALL POWERFUL Q !!
mike im curious have you ever thought about going the wet dry route?
more efficient and definitely cheaper to put together as well. i really like the results that mine achieve not to mention i learned something when we did it.

DiscusnAfricans

Past President
Yeah, I like the idea of a wet dry, and plan to use one in the future on a larger system, but I don't trust my self with the DIY projects at the moment. I'm not the most mechanically inclined, so plug and play systems are a easier choice for me at the moment. Your system did seem to be set up well.

F8LBITE

Members
FX5 and Cascades for me. Priming Cascades sucks but they are silent and move the water. You already have a Cascade right? You can score a FX5 for close to $200 shipped on Ebay of you are patient.

DiscusnAfricans

Past President
Yeah, I currently have a cascade 1000 on one tank and a magnum 350 PRO on another. I was thinking of upgrading to larger cascades or Renas, just though I'd take an opinion poll. I'm kicking myself for not picking up the FX5 that Scales had during their liquidation. Anybody have serious problems with Renas? The cascades do run silent, and it has been good to me so far.

danger_chicken

Swim Fishy Swim!
I have a couple FX5 and love them with all my heart. I have one Eheim eco something and I think it sucks. The Eheim is the quietest filter I've never heard, which is great since it's the only tank in my livingroom, but the flow and mechanical filtration compared to the fluval is very poor.

dogofwar

CCA Members
I quit using canisters a few years ago but have good luck with Magnum 350s over the years.

In my experience the best way to use canisters is as primarily bio filters and in conjunction with a HOB (primarily as a mechanical filter).

Keeping poop/food/gunk out of a canister with a pre-filter means that you can go for a LONG time without cleaning it. Not keeping the gunk out means that it needs to be cleaned pretty frequently (or you're filtering your tank with a ball of poop :) ). Canisters are kind of a pain to clean, in my opinion. Which means that I don't clean them enough.

I currently use all (air-driven) boxes and sponges and DIY dump filters, which are like a wet dry that sits above the tank and dumps water back into the tank via gravity.

I'm fastidious about cleaning the fluff in box and DIY filters. Less gunk = less nitrates.

cabinetmkr39

DavidG / CCA Member
I'm using a Rena X3 ,I like it great value for your dollar. Reviews on cichlid forum on all makes of canisters. Good luck.

Andrewtfw

Global Moderators
First generation filstars had a design flaw and most leaked. The problem has since been corrected and they are rated well. I have never used one.

I use fluvals on all of my tanks. I think the 404/405 is one of the best filters on the market. The smaller versions don't seem to be as efficient as they should be IMHO. I also now own 2-FX5s. There is simply nothing else like them. Not sure if I could have saved money and gone with a pond filter, since the FX5 is a big bucket of a filter.

The only eheim I have ever dealt with was one designed similar to the magnum 350 in terms of shape. I found the metal clips that lock the top to the base to be flimsy and easily damaged.

I have a Marineland C-220 canister filter and it is a work horse! I have used eheim before but I have found that the cheaper models are junk! I think Marineland has done a great job with this new series and is not too pricey.

Andrewtfw

Global Moderators
I would be reluctant to purchase a marineland canister. A friend has two and both are leaking after one year of use. There were two leaks. The first was at the handles. Later, a leak at the hose locks began. She contacted marineland and was informed it was due to a design flaw. Marineland replaced the first canister and told her if/when the second one leaked, they would replace that one as well. She received the replacement for the first one. Shortly after the second one began leaking. Rather than go through the hassle of dealing with this problem again, she has switched over to fluvals.