• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

bulk sand/substrate?

Sriracha

Members
Looking to find somewhere locally to buy bulk sand or gravel substrate for a planted tank. I'm looking for around 200lbs and trying to avoid paying $23 a bag for eco earth (ouch). Any insight would be helpful. Also avoiding silica play sand, seen too many negative reviews rather than positive ones. Thanks.

mchambers

Former CCA member
If you want an inexpensive substrate, I'd go with pool filter sand. It's about $7 for 50 pounds. It's not a great substrate for growing plants, however. It will work with the right plants.

Search on the forum for pool or pfs and you'll find lots of helpful posts.

69cichlids

Members
At home depot I got some stuff just like pfs its some fine industrial sand. Paid 8 bucks for 2 50 lbs bags

Sent from my SCH-I500 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Sriracha

Members
could you possibly provide me with the name of what you bought at home depot? I haven't been able to find a place that sold pool filter sand, (the Lowes and Homedepot near my area does not carry it) any recommended stores in northern virginia area?

verbal

CCA Members
could you possibly provide me with the name of what you bought at home depot? I haven't been able to find a place that sold pool filter sand, (the Lowes and Homedepot near my area does not carry it) any recommended stores in northern virginia area?

I bought some Pool Filter Sand a Leslie's Pool in Vienna.

mchambers

Former CCA member
In Fairfax, I went to Huston Pools (www.hustonpools.com). Their pfs was sort of a blend of light and dark grains. I like it, but it probably doesn't work for everyone.

You might want to call first.

Last edited:

69cichlids

Members

Yeah, I'll look when I get home from work, I tried looking online with hd but couldn't find it.

toddnbecka

Members
If you want a black substrate Tractor Supply sells Black Diamond blasting grit (coal slag) $8/50lb bag. Completely inert, looks/acts just like black sand except no silica, so no diatoms.

69cichlids

Members
I can't find the bag I had, must of used it all up...if I remember right it just said industrial sand, I read it and it was washed and dried and has silica in it...best bet would be to just walk into hd or a home improvement store and just look at what they have. Thats what I did. i couldn't find any pfs in iowa durning the winter so I just walked in hd and read the back and made sure it was a fine sand and had silica in it.