• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Brine Shrimp Eggs

firemouth

Members
How long do brine shrimp eggs last for? I got an old can of them and tried hatching them but it didn't work. I don't think I had the temperature high enough...

bschuhart

Members
How long do brine shrimp eggs last for? I got an old can of them and tried hatching them but it didn't work. I don't think I had the temperature high enough...
I had some that were opened and 10 years old and they hatched. I think if they are kept dry, they will hatch, the count might be lower.

Frank Cowherd

Global Moderators
Staff member
If some hatched under you current conditions, you might have hope that you can find conditions to get more to hatch. You need about a tablespoon of marine salt per pint of water. Marine salt has a buffer that keeps the pH up around 8, if you use plain salt, add baking soda or baking powder to get the pH to 8. At 70 degrees it takes about 48 hours. At 80 F it takes about 24 hours to hatch.

Dry eggs that have not been subjected to high temperature for very long will last for ever, well maybe not that long. Eggs that get wet don't last long.

If they do not hatch or very few hatch, you can decapsulate them in Clorox to remove the outer shell. Fish readily eat the resulting eggs, but they are not so great for new fry since new fry need something moving to get more motivated. PM me or Bob Bock for the procedure, although many other probably have the procedure.

bschuhart

Members
How I Hatch brine

I hatch a batch every day.

Quart Mason Jar, drill 1 hole in the middle, for the ridgid tube(tight fit) and 2 smaller holes for the air to escape.

Ridgid Air tube
flex air tube
air pump
40 watt bulb in round clip reflector from hardware store

• fill declorinated water to top line of mason jar
  • add 2 tablespoons of marine salt (tried table salt + baking soda but didn't work as well)
  • 1/4 teaspoon of eggs
  • put the light bulb about 4-6" away from the jar
  • 18Hrs you have a hatch
  • after they hatch I move the jar away from the light, the brine shrimp last longer
Tip from the last meeting, if your ridgid tube clogs with eggs, put a 1" piece of flex tubing on the end of the ridgid tube inside the jar.

This has worked for me for the last 6 months

Another note: when the lid and screw cap get rusty, replace as the rust may contaminate the water.