• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

breeding

fweed

Members
Is there a right way and a wrong way to breed cichlids. Should you seperate the breeding pair from the rest of the community. How do you get them to breed?

UNCLERUCKUS

"THE ALL POWERFUL Q !!
Is there a right way and a wrong way to breed cichlids. Should you seperate the breeding pair from the rest of the community. How do you get them to breed?
i think this all depends on what you have, tankmates, but other then that its not too hard. its not hard the fish do all the work you just make the conditions right for them. i raise my temps up to 84-86 and feed live foods. i also do a water change. most fish will find a flat surface to lay eggs on. if you dont have this in your tank find some flat rocks or slate. as for tankmates it really depends on who is in the tank. do yourself a favor and remove all plecos/catfish(egg eaters) from the tank with them as well. most will breed in a community tank while others wont. again this depends on what you have. hope this helps you out. have a good weekend. :)

Lively

Members
I think it depends on the cichlid, the size of the tank and the tankmates. I keep my Dempsey's in thier own tank - he beats up everything when they are breeding. I did have a CAE with them, but he ate the fry. Now they are completely alone.

maddog10

Members
Need to be more specific about the species.

Convicts will breed in the bag on the way home from the store.
Pikes are much more dependent on water parameters.
Rift Lake cichlids are in the middle.

Some fish are triggered into breeding after big water changes or temperature fluctuations. Some don't want to breed no matter what you do.

Water changes and time. Those would be my main pointers. I have breeders in all my tanks. Keeping the parameters stable whatever you have them at. I have breeding pairs in my community tanks too. I have also had similar species search each other out and become pairs in community tanks that they theoretically could be crossbreeding. I like to keep species of fish in pairs or trios in my community tanks.

Make sure if you have successful breeding in a community tank you should inform the buyer of the fry that the fish breed in a community tank. Some people do not like to receive fish from pairs in a community tank due to the fact that a fish could be impure or hybrid.

fweed

Members
I have some bi- colors (1female and 3 female) (1 female and 2 male) kenyi some other peacocks and some mbunas. Oh yeah some trewavasae (4 females and 2 males). Its a community tank that is going to split for my 55 when its setup next week. The setup now is a 75 gal

DonkeyFish

Members
Fweed... those trewavasaes will spawn just looking at each other if they're anything like their parents :) And they're mouthbrooders, which is fun. So when one of the girls stops eating, you'll know!