• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Breedig Ghost Shrimp?

Jumbie

Members
Does anyone have any experience in breeding Ghost Shrimp? If you do could you please let me know how this project went or is going, and do you recommend breeding them or should I just continue to purchase them from a LFS? My local LFS rarely has them in stock so I have to travel quite a distance to purchase some. I don’t really mind considering the fact that I do fish trips almost every weekend, but I just thought I might try breeding some at home. I have read some great articles on the topic; I just want to see if in the club had some knowledge to spread.

Sonny Disposition

Hi Jumbie. These are native shrimp, so you should go over to the NANFA site and do a search. http://www.nanfa.org. Most native fish people have brought them home at one time or another, as they're fairly common in coastal areas.

Also go over and ask at GWAPA. They have lots of shrimp, since they tend not to keep fish that will eat them (like we do) and people who know how to take care of them.

Two things I know about shrimp. One, is they need iodine. And, two is, copper (in a lot of fish foods) will kill them.

So you do need to give them shrimp pellets that don't contain copper. (Stop by Scales and ask Andrew or Jim what brand to buy.)

I'm also told that the the grass shrimp will pick off their fellow shrimp after they have molted.

I've never made a serious attempt to breed them. But when I've kept them, they always just dwindle down in number, one at a time, until I don't have any left. I don't know if the getting eaten after molting hypothesis is true, but that's one explanation.

This might be heresy, to some, but you might be better off using Cherry red shrimp as feeders. They apparently breed like cockroaches. A lot easier, apparently, than grass shrimp.

Good luck.

Jumbie

Members
Thanks for the advice Bob. In the past I have had Cherry Shrimp breed in my plant tanks for me. The only problem is that Gohst Srimp are about $2 for 10 and Cherry shrimp are like $2 and some change a each. I think what I'm gonna do is try to breed the cherry shrimp because they look a whole lot cooler than the glass shrimp. If you or any one else sees any or knows anyone who is selling them please feel free to inform me thanks.

DonkeyFish

Members
Hey Jumbie.... Michael Barber is always selling off his healthy population of Cherries, like $8 for a "generous dozen". He's over here in Reston by me, not sure if he'll be going to the next CCA meeting but for sure he'll be at the PVAS meeting next Monday night and GWAPA this afternoon. Otherwise if you coordinate with him I could possibly be talked into making a delivery to the CCA meeting for you. I believe he's "mab" on this and the other forums.

msjinkzd

invert junkie
There are several species sold as "ghost shrimp". The american glass shrimp is easy to breed and a better feeder than other species. Some species require brackish conditions for the larvae to develop. Set up a 10 or 20g with a sponge filter, a few plants, and good conditions and if they are american glass shrimp they should readily reproduce for you. Cherry shrimp are much more attractive, but are smaller than adult ghost shrimp so depending on what you are feeding may be more of a snack than a meal.

Jumbie

Members
There are several species sold as "ghost shrimp". The american glass shrimp is easy to breed and a better feeder than other species. Some species require brackish conditions for the larvae to develop. Set up a 10 or 20g with a sponge filter, a few plants, and good conditions and if they are american glass shrimp they should readily reproduce for you. Cherry shrimp are much more attractive, but are smaller than adult ghost shrimp so depending on what you are feeding may be more of a snack than a meal.

Thanks a lot for the info. I just got like 50 feeders (ghost shrimp) from EA. I am going to put them in 20g long and hope for the best. I also am getting some cherry shrimp from a friendly CCA member next meeting. I will keep those who are interest updated. Thanks a bunch everyone.