• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Black Worms

George

CCA Charter Member and person in charge of the we
Thanks for the food hints ray-folks. It reeaally likes black worms and I just don't buy the parasite thing. I can understand the worms bringing nasty bacteria with them though. Once the bacteria weakens the fish the parasite that was already there starts to do noticeable damage. Just a theory, not a sermon. I thought I would have trouble feeding the little guy but it looks like it takes most frozen food. Do you know if anyone has them eating pellets?

I have to admit I really didn't want a stingray but no one else wanted to take it and I just couldn't see tossing it back in the river. Now even my wife (not a fish person) is glad I kept it. Now I have to find a new way to get her to quit nosing around my fishroom. If she isn't there she won't notice when the new 180 gal tank moves in. Explaining how tanks reproduce is very difficult. :rolleyes: :angel2: The way she sees it - :spanka: :smashfreakB:

George

Julie

Members
<span style="font-family:Comic Sans MS">Rays are amazing creatures, and so very different from other fish imo. Once you have them, it's hard not to always have them. I spent a year or so in between having some, and missed them alot!!

And just get a tank to put the ray in the main part of the house. She'll get to enjoy it more, and be out of your fishroom!! </span>

jrpatter

Members
One time I had a moto ray that would eat tetra crisps. But for most of my rays I just go down to the creek and catch a mess of ghost shrimp.

John

Sonny Disposition

Talk about pricey--night crawlers are $4.00 a dozen now! (The Aulonocara's love em.)

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (dogofwar @ Sep 17 2008, 04:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
"And of course they love red wrigglers at that size..."

I'm a big fan of feeding red wigglers as well. I had a good source back in Cali. Anyone know of a good source in/near Rockville/G'burg?

The 7 Eleven by me stocks them but they're pricey and don't look 2 fresh :)[/b]

George

CCA Charter Member and person in charge of the we
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (jrpatter @ Sep 18 2008, 12:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
One time I had a moto ray that would eat tetra crisps. But for most of my rays I just go down to the creek and catch a mess of ghost shrimp.

John[/b]
Nice idea. Know anyone who could put in a creek for me?:)

See you at the catfish fest old friend. I think I want some of your plants.

George

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (jrpatter @ Sep 16 2008, 03:41 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Recently someone (Diana Walstead) did a study at one of the zebra danio production labs and found that most of the "mystery" deaths in the clean room were actually caused by common soil based mycobacterium. It turned out that the lab was keeping everything so clean that normal bacteria couldnt grow, and then this provided a medium for the soil bacterias come in and establish and eventually kill off everything. After listening to her it made me think that the issue with discus isnt that they are sensative but that the environment is too clean and the more exotic bacteria are coming in and taking hold.

John[/b]

John,

that's one of the reasons we don't use UV in our fish houses.

One of the golden rules somebody told me many moons ago, if you want to feed your fish live, use food from Saltwater for the fresh water fish and from fresh for saltwater, the lowest change you bring something in with it.

A professor in CA told me if you really want to use CA BW put them for 15 minutes in full milk before feeding, rinse them and feed the fish.
He told me in many nice words why (50% went over my head) but it's more or less that the milk makes them hmmmmmmmmmm how to say nice, okay can't say it nice so here we go....$hit them self empty like there in no tomorrow......ha ha ha ha and if you feed them to your fish there's really no tomorrow for them.

Hans