• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Best way to capture fry?

iamzrad

Members
Recently my zebra obliquidens bred and had some fry. I didn't bother stripping the mother, just let them be. I have about 5 or so 1/2" fry swimming around hiding amongst the rocks. I certainly do not feel like taking apart my whole tank just to get them out.
What is the best way to capture these guys, obviously a net is not going to work.

I was thinking about making a little "minnow trap" (diy of course), to try to lure them in, but like cichlids, they're kinda smart and don't come out.

Lively

Members
Ten bucks says you break down the tank.

I've used a syphon, but I think mine were a bit smaller.

UNCLERUCKUS

"THE ALL POWERFUL Q !!
phil you know how much I enjoy watching you catch fish right? hehe! danger chicken and I would thoroughly enjoy this fry catching experience. we could even take pics/ video. lmaoooo . no but seriously I would try syphoning as lively said. its gonna be fun cuz they are gonna swim under everything. unless you are prepared to take a lot of stuff out. good luck with it.

mscichlid

Founder
Take a pepsi bottle or coke (yech) around the 16 oz or 20 oz size, cut the neck right where it it connects to the straight part of the body, put a little food inside, turn the neck around inside the bottom part (like a funnel) fill the thing with water (from the tank) and place it in the front of the tank to watch your progress.

Or put a long handle net in the tank and put an algae tab in it and wait for all or most of them to get in the net on the food and scoop them out. You may have to leave the net in the tank and feed them this way a couple of days before your success rate increases.

UNCLERUCKUS

"THE ALL POWERFUL Q !!
Take a pepsi bottle or coke (yech) around the 16 oz or 20 oz size, cut the neck right where it it connects to the straight part of the body, put a little food inside, turn the neck around inside the bottom part (like a funnel) fill the thing with water (from the tank) and place it in the front of the tank to watch your progress.

Or put a long handle net in the tank and put an algae tab in it and wait for all or most of them to get in the net on the food and scoop them out. You may have to leave the net in the tank and feed them this way a couple of days before your success rate increases.
THATS A GREAT IDEA FRANCINE!!;)

iamzrad

Members
Ten bucks says you break down the tank.

I've used a syphon, but I think mine were a bit smaller.

My syphon doesn't fit in the rock crevasses.

two nets ... take rocks out. Done in 10 min.

This is all in my 125gal, takes me on average over an hour to take everything out.

phil you know how much I enjoy watching you catch fish right? hehe! danger chicken and I would thoroughly enjoy this fry catching experience. we could even take pics/ video. lmaoooo . no but seriously I would try syphoning as lively said. its gonna be fun cuz they are gonna swim under everything. unless you are prepared to take a lot of stuff out. good luck with it.

HAHA! Next time I'll have to ask you to wait outside as I destroy my tank trying to catch everything :lol:

Both sound like good ideas. All my fish in this tank are kinda used to the net(s) because I try to leave the net in the tank at least 3 or so times a week so they adjust to it, but the little guys only come out when they see food scraps floating down to the bottom.

I'm def. going to try the bottle idea, thanks!

longstocking

Members
I take a 1/4 of the rocks out of my 125... where the fish likes to hang out....

then take two big nets and they are caught.

Lively

Members
my fry catching syphon is pretty big - it sucks them out of hiding places... but i have to be extremely careful

Franny,

The coke bottle thing sounds good. If I had used that I probably would still have Super Reds. The same problem of hiding in all the rocks and not wanting to break it down is why all the juvies were still in there. I will have to use this in the future.

Thanks
Rob

iamzrad

Members
if all else fails throw a livingstonii in there and your problem is solved .:FIREdevil:

:lol::lol::lol:

These little guys have cojones though, they swim out to the open with the other (4-5"+) fish and are really not that scared, only when I come up to the tank, they hide. What a bunch of cowards! :p :lol: