• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Basics Or Advanced

hudson21222

Members
I am sure I am not among the only newer hobbyist that have wondered what all these expensive goodies, I keep seeing as I skim the websites.

I myself am interested in the UV Sterilizer only because I hate the algae that grows in my tank. The question would have to be, who should think about using these items and why one would choose to do so?
I ask that because I know some Cichlid are more expensive and rarer then some of the more common ones. And I could understand the need to use what ever means there is to keep them healthy and alive.

I myself think new comers to the hobby of fish keeping no matter the type should be able to get useful, and accurate information about equipment, as well as the best choice of beginer friendly fish.

Can anyone offer me a good book that might answer more of these type questions? So I can save the time in the forum for more important topics.

Jumbie

Members
What kind of tank are you putting the UV on? You need to be careful with the UV's because they could kill of a lot of the good bacteria that you want growing in your tank. I have mine (on a saltwater tank) cut on for a while a few times though the day to prevent ich etc. There are less expensive methods to prevent algae growth in your tank(s), i.e. feed less, reduce the time your lights are on (8hrs is what is recommended for fish 16 hrs with a 2hr break for plants). I recommend using a poly filter that you could pick up at your LFS, for $10 I think those thing work great. My personal recommendation for good books are the one's that look like a child’s book (lol). These books get strait to the point without sounding like a chemistry textbook therefore newbies are able to understand what they are reading. Not saying your dumb or anything lol.

dogofwar

CCA Members
There is no end to the stuff that you COULD buy for your tank(s)...although about 99% of it really isn't necessary.

All that you need for a healthy (freshwater) tank is an air pump, a box filter and/or a sponge filter, and a heater. And regular, partial water changes.

The rest is icing on the cake.

cyradis4

Members
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (dogofwar @ Jun 30 2008, 02:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
There is no end to the stuff that you COULD buy for your tank(s)...although about 99% of it really isn't necessary.

All that you need for a healthy (freshwater) tank is an air pump, a box filter and/or a sponge filter, and a heater. And regular, partial water changes.

The rest is icing on the cake.[/b]

To a point, I agree. However, it depends on your water source, setup, and many, many more factors. I've lost about three tanks worth of fish to bacteria that came in the water line (I live in an OLD part of Baltimore City, and the minicipal water supply could be MUCH better) and I use my UV on the incoming water, along with three different size particulate filters and a carbon filter. The filters clog completely in a matter of months...... In addition, I know of places where the water out of the tap kills fish almost immediatly. And others where the pH is sooo high, most fish can't live in it, and others where it is sooo low, that the reverse is true. Ditto with hardnesses. So before you decide on anything, figure out what your water is like. Chances are, you need only what dogofwar said. My water supply is one of the exceptions.....

If set up right, in the right order, the UV has NO effect on the bacterial filtration in the tank. My suggestion? Don't go the UV route just for algae, unless it is a small UV. I would go with a small particulate filter (the polishing type, diatoms I think).

Ok, gotta go. Later!
Amanda.

PS: A good heater is a wonderfull temp regulator (pay the money to get a good one, I've fried fish with the old or cheap ones), and a pH monitor (the cheap kind that you stick on the tanks) are nice too as they tell you if your pH takes a dive (I've lost fish when that happened, too).

mscichlid

Founder
Please, please feel free to ask your questions here. There is always someone here that could help you out.

A lot of the time if you can determine which kind of algae you have it can be the start of fixing your problem.

Some basic algae florish due to:

Not enough light (wattage too low or duration is too low)
Too much light (lights on too long or too much wattage if you are not growing plants)
Too much phosphate (can be in your water)
Overfeeding/ undercleaning (water change regiment does not include cleaning deep gravel beds thouroughly)
A dirty filter (usually is a bacteria) or under-filtration

Try to describe the algae problems you're having. We can start from there. Don't buy anything until you figure out what your problem is.

On the cichlids, you could start by determining which continent you prefer your cichlids to come from and them checking out what books are available.

I am especially happy that you are interested in reading books than totally relying on forums and the internet. Big thumbs up for you! When I started out, I bought a lot of books and then when it got expensive, I picked up books in second hand stores. Subscribing to Tropical Fishg Hobbyist magazine is a good start. Joining a club and talking to members who have the same 'fishy' interest as yourself is a big jump in the right direction. You become privey to auctions where you may find an entire year of a subscription for a few dollars.

I'm totally into South American cichlids and other species from there. The books I have tend to cover these species. Although I do own a few books that are general aquarium.

Keep asking away. We all want to help!

Francine

hudson21222

Members
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (mscichlid @ Jun 30 2008, 08:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Please, please feel free to ask your questions here. There is always someone here that could help you out.

A lot of the time if you can determine which kind of algae you have it can be the start of fixing your problem.

Some basic algae florish due to:

Not enough light (wattage too low or duration is too low)
Too much light (lights on too long or too much wattage if you are not growing plants)
Too much phosphate (can be in your water)
Overfeeding/ undercleaning (water change regiment does not include cleaning deep gravel beds thouroughly)
A dirty filter (usually is a bacteria) or under-filtration

Try to describe the algae problems you're having. We can start from there. Don't buy anything until you figure out what your problem is.

On the cichlids, you could start by determining which continent you prefer your cichlids to come from and them checking out what books are available.

I am especially happy that you are interested in reading books than totally relying on forums and the internet. Big thumbs up for you! When I started out, I bought a lot of books and then when it got expensive, I picked up books in second hand stores. Subscribing to Tropical Fishg Hobbyist magazine is a good start. Joining a club and talking to members who have the same 'fishy' interest as yourself is a big jump in the right direction. You become privey to auctions where you may find an entire year of a subscription for a few dollars.

I'm totally into South American cichlids and other species from there. The books I have tend to cover these species. Although I do own a few books that are general aquarium.

Keep asking away. We all want to help!

Francine[/b]

Thanks all for the help. There is one thing I will have to say I am having the biggest problem adjusting to. And thats having my fish die, make me want to just cry. I have had my water tested and is good but still can not figure out whats killing my fish.

The only changes that I have done in the week during the fish deaths is change the brand and type of food they eat. From flake to pellet from a off brand to spectrum food. And been giving them fresh lettuce. That I got from a local salad bar at my super market. So I am stoping the lettuce, and from using the spectrum pellets.

cyradis4

Members
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Krissy @ Jul 1 2008, 08:17 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Thanks all for the help. There is one thing I will have to say I am having the biggest problem adjusting to. And thats having my fish die, make me want to just cry. I have had my water tested and is good but still can not figure out whats killing my fish.

The only changes that I have done in the week during the fish deaths is change the brand and type of food they eat. From flake to pellet from a off brand to spectrum food. And been giving them fresh lettuce. That I got from a local salad bar at my super market. So I am stoping the lettuce, and from using the spectrum pellets.[/b]

Question 1: What kinda fish are they, and how many?

Question 2: Where did you get them?

Question 3: What size tank is it?

Question 4: What kinda filter, air, and heating do you have?

Question 5: What are the symptoms?

Question 6: What WERE your water parameters?

Question 7: How are you treating the water? With declorinator? what kind? Treating or adding anything else? Running the water through any kinda filter before it goes into the tank?

Question 8: Where do you live? (general area, like I live in Baltimore City on the west side)

Try to answer these as best you can, so we can help you. Books are great, but in a case of fish losses, chances are someone here has had a similar problem.

And most people don't get used to loosing thier fish. I know it really upsets me, and I've lost more then one whole tank of fish I raised from eggs to adult........ Some of it was inexperience, some of it was stupidity (my own, more often then not), and some were factors beyond my control. Alls you can do is try to rectify the first, allow for the second, and be prepared as best you can when the third happens.

We are here for you!
Amanda.