• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Bag Buddies

Spine

Members
Anyone ever had any problems with fish that have been shipped using Bag Buddies. The reason I asking is this is the second time I've received fish shipped with bag buddies and had them swim like they were drunk and lie on the bottom after being added to the tank.

One thing I noticed is that the water was a darker blue than I'm used to seeing. I have bought fish packed with bag buddies at auctions but they must have used(half dose maybe) less, the water was a light blue.

I lost one or two fish both times and would like to add that all the other fish recovered and all (most in a couple hours)where acting normal within 24 hours. All the ones that died where 1-2 inch fish, the larger fish didn't seem to be effected as much.

I'm happy that I didn't lose everything but I hate losing any fish.
In the future should I request no bag buddies for small fish,what's your opinion.

jonclark96

Past CCA President
I have never had issues like you describe, even with smaller fish. Sorry that all your new fish didn't make the trip.

RIFT_LAKES_RULE

Member of the Darkside Tang's Rule!
Pretty sure clove oil is an ingredient which is supposed to lightly sedate them to lower stress. Clove oil used to be recommended to euthanize ill fish but that was 100% clove oil. I personally like bag buddies and have never had an issue that I would associate with the use of them.

Pat Kelly

CCA Member
Staff member
I almost always use bag buddies when I transport fish to shows.
Never a problem.
Now one tablet in a bag will not make the water dark blue.
Very light blue.
Must not have been bagbuddies or it was a lot of it.

Also 1 tablet is to be put to 1 gallon of water. I once shipped a small bag of fish and put in a whole tablet and they rode the last train to happyville!

DiscusnAfricans

Past President
You can definitely overdose with bag buddies. The small fish are more sensitive to the concentration of the sedative. I usually use them, but in small amounts. The swimming around is similar to waking up from anesthesia, it takes a while to get your bearings back

Pat Kelly

CCA Member
Staff member
Anything can be overdosed. And I have heard of others that have had problems.
I use it because it works for me. Like I said, my show fish are bagged with it for shows and I have shipped fish that way too.
Heck if Hans trusts his living with it then I guess I can too. LOL

longstocking

Members
Kevin blue water doesn't always been bag buddies... it could be other meds.

I use them.... I think it helps relax fish... the active ingrediant is Meth blue.... with sensitive fish I always use them... I just use less. Xeno's, Paracyps, etc... I would never ship without them.... less stress on the fish IMO.

RIFT_LAKES_RULE

Member of the Darkside Tang's Rule!
My bottle says "active ingredients: chlorides of sodium and potassium, clove oil."

Mine is made by Jungle.