• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Background on my 180

Tony

Alligator Snapping Turtle/Past Pres
I think I found myself my next project. I'm planning on setting up the 180 reef-ready I got on Craigslist a couple months back. How awesome would this be?

http://www.cichlidforum.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=198615&sid=e668101198459831666aa01aeeecb3e9

This is by far the best job on a background that I have found. The ledges and caves he added are amazing. This guy is an artist...

Anyone done similar to their tank? Anyone have any pictures? Anyone willing to cut foam for beer? :)

chris_todd

Members
Tony, that is cool! But if you think *that guy* was an artist, there was a recent thread on Aquatic Plant Central that blew my mind:
http://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/forumapc/paludariums/65424-streambank-paludarium.html

I've played around with cutting/shaping styrofoam before (though not for tank backgrounds, for something else), and it's pretty easy. All the tools you need can be found at your average crafts store. A steel wire brush can be used for more creative "sculpting", though that is terribly messy (but fun!).

What has always worried me about these DIY backgrounds is the potential effects of the adhesives once underwater. To reassure myself, I'd consider coating the whole thing with epoxy, or perhaps some kind of paint designed for use underwater. And of course, you'll have to use silicone to attach it to the tank otherwise it will float, so it becomes a permanent fixture in your tank. I could well be wrong, and my concerns may be unfounded; I've never done the research, so YMMV.

Jumbie

Members
Tony, that is cool! But if you think *that guy* was an artist, there was a recent thread on Aquatic Plant Central that blew my mind:
http://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/forumapc/paludariums/65424-streambank-paludarium.html

I've played around with cutting/shaping styrofoam before (though not for tank backgrounds, for something else), and it's pretty easy. All the tools you need can be found at your average crafts store. A steel wire brush can be used for more creative "sculpting", though that is terribly messy (but fun!).

What has always worried me about these DIY backgrounds is the potential effects of the adhesives once underwater. To reassure myself, I'd consider coating the whole thing with epoxy, or perhaps some kind of paint designed for use underwater. And of course, you'll have to use silicone to attach it to the tank otherwise it will float, so it becomes a permanent fixture in your tank. I could well be wrong, and my concerns may be unfounded; I've never done the research, so YMMV.

That was AWSOME!!!!:party0038: I wonder what kind of paint and materials they use?

That is cool. I wanted to try this but I guess you need to let it cure before you can introduce fish. Thats the only reason why I have not tried it.

DiscusnAfricans

Past President
Thats going to be a bad mamma jamma. I'd be willing to help cut foam, just don't get so drunk I mistake fingers for foam...

Tony

Man, that guy with the roots sure does know what he's doing. The rocks that he has in his setup are pretty straight-forward. Just get a sheet of 1" or 1.5" blue foam and cut a series of strips in it. Each strip has one side wavy/jagged with the other side straight. Align all the straight sides together and get a cool, "layered" slate-look.

After you glue them together, carve foam to make them look more or less uniform, with chunks taken out here and there to make them look more natural.

Now the roots on the other hand.... yikes. Wonder if he uses "Great-stuff?"

I think that the standard method is to use 2-3 coats of concrete or a polymer-modified cementitious bagged patching product (I'm work for a concrete construction company). But the problem is that you get super-basic water for some time; which leads to soaking it for a while with water changes for weeks.

The guy on the first thread used a product called Dry-Lok, which is a masonry waterproofer (for pools, basement foundation walls, etc) which comes in a can and can be simply painted on. They make it in different colors, including beige and grey.

I've heard of people using concrete pigment in concrete for the old-school method. Also read about folks using ground charcoal to darken the concrete. The same would probably work with the Dry-Lok. I can see starting with a darker base coat (with the charcoal) and then "dry-brushing" lighter coats as you move up to create shading.

The best part about the Dry-Lok is that you don't have to cure the structure after it's done. Simply glue it into the tank, let it cure and add water.

I think I may start sketching up some ideas. I like the whole "Castle Greyskull" look of the first one with holes and shelves and stuff, but I think the slate idea may be a better idea for a beginner....

George

CCA Charter Member and person in charge of the we
That is terrific. What a great tank and you don't have to worry about it falling over and breaking the glass. Model railroad guys use foam to model rocks. They use heated wire cutters to shape the foam. It makes a lot less mess. I bet you could check at a good hobby store that carries model train stuff. They should be able to hook you up. Dry-Lok looks like a good way to go. I wonder if epoxy would attack the foam. I wouldn't try it.

George

ingg

Members
http://www.aquariumdesigngroup.com/

Go to gallery, freshwater 1, pic 14 and 15 .

The one and only tank full of nothing but rocks and cichlids I ever just sat and stared, stared, stared.... just so well done in its complexity/simplicity. Those little cichlids just kept darting in and out of the myriad of little nooks and crannies.

Julies I think are the ones with loach (Sidthimunki) like patterns... yellow ones are, umm, don't remember. ;) I'm bad with the names of Africans. Leleupi maybe?

It is actual slate btw.

Pics 29-30 are another set, a variant with different fish.

Tony

George - I think my buddy has one of those foam cutters. We used to do table-top war gaming (don't ask) and build hills using one of those cutters. Wonder if he still has it?...

Chris - Yeah, definitely checking out that list of links. My plan changes ever hour or so, after finding different posts. lol

http://www.aquariumdesigngroup.com/

Go to gallery, freshwater 1, pic 14 and 15 .

The one and only tank full of nothing but rocks and cichlids I ever just sat and stared, stared, stared.... just so well done in its complexity/simplicity. Those little cichlids just kept darting in and out of the myriad of little nooks and crannies.

Julies I think are the ones with loach (Sidthimunki) like patterns... yellow ones are, umm, don't remember. ;) I'm bad with the names of Africans. Leleupi maybe?

It is actual slate btw.

Pics 29-30 are another set, a variant with different fish.

Have you seen that setup in person? Do you know those guys who set up the tanks? Some really beautiful stuff...