• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Baby Brine shrimp ?

bschuhart

Members
After you hatch the eggs,

how many of you rinse the shrimp before feeding?

how many of you don't rinse and just feed the separated (from eggs) shrimp with the salt water from the hatching bottle?

Pat Kelly

CCA Member
Staff member
I just run them into the net. Let the water go and feed from the net. A little on a finger..

Ophelia77

Members
We put a coffee filter on a canning jar and strain out the water, then use a dropper to get the BBS as close to the babies as we can

bertolli

Members
I haven't had much luck hatching brine shrimp and I suspect my problem is water temp, how do you guys do it?

Pat Kelly

CCA Member
Staff member
There are a bunch of ways but.....
I use a 2 liter bottle about 3/4 full.
4 or 5 drops of regular bleach.
1 teaspoon of eggs
1 teaspoon of marine salt
one air stone
24 hours to 48 hours in the fish room. 75 to 78 f

Then take the air out. Let settle for 10 minutes.
siphon out into a brine shrimp net. Feed to fry.

bschuhart

Members
I tried using jars and different things and the eggs hatched fine, but recently bought one of those kits that you screw a 2 liter bottle to, this made life so easy, especially when collecting the shrimp(it separates the eggs from the shells much better.)

My eggs hatch in 16-18 hours like clock work. I use a light bulb 40 watt ,in a round reflector, the clip on kind found in hardware stores. I put the bulb about 6-8 inches from the bottle (I used a thermometer the 1st few times to adjust the distance from the light bulb to get the temperature at 80F) I use 1 tbs of Instant Ocean salt and 1/4-1/2 tsp of eggs and fill the bottle 1/2 way with tap water. This makes enough to feed 2 batches of angel fry 3 times a day. I use 2 of these set-ups and alternate each every other day.

bertolli

Members
Thx for all the info! never heard of bleach before, I think i'll try that and use an old reptile light instead of a regular desk lamp for heat.