• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Are Albino Eureka Red's All Wusses Or

F8LBITE

Members
Ive had a few Albino Eurekas and they either piss everybody off in the tank or they are just too timid with other peacocks. All the ones Ive had either hang out near a powerhead or intake tube near the top or hide behind rocks on the bottom. The one I currently have was in my 6FT tank with other peacocks and haps about the same size which is 4-5 inches. He is really pretty and has nice long fins but he's just too timid to just get in the feeding frenzy and he misses out on all the feedings. Other than a little chase here and there no one picks on him. I finally pulled him out of that tank and put him in my grow out tank because his belly was starting to look concave. Its like he cant see the food. What are your experiences?

100G:
AER4100G.jpg

In my grow out.
AER2.jpg

AER1.jpg

AER3.jpg

Pat Kelly

CCA Member
Staff member
Being an albino, they are usually the one that is picked on the most in the tank. Thats why you seldom find an albino in nature.
Are you sure he is not blind? I have had a couple that have gone blind. The eyes go from pink to clear. After having these for years I would say, yes they do have seeing concerns.
I think the bright light is hard on those eyes and they have a hard time.

That being said, I have one in my 90 and one in my 150 with other peacocks and they rule the roost.

F8LBITE

Members
Well that explains it, I had no idea they had weak vision. That explains why he waits at the bottom during feeding time. His eyes are pink and sees me when i approach the tank so I think he's not completely blind. Ill just have to watch and make sure he's getting food.