• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Anyone Trying A Planted Tank This Year?

Laxison

Members
Well I unplanted one of my tanks that the cichlids thought was a "grove of lolipops," as I called it. Nothing seemed to work to have the guys avoid devouring the plants. Couple that with the fact that cichlids and plants tend to not go over well I decided to un-plant the tank and put the few plants that had some life to them in my small 10g planted tank. It was worth a shot but for me just didn't work. I like the amazon swords and stuff with my crypt plants in my 10g, though, so I'm still happy :D Maybe one day I'll try putting even hardier plants in with the cichlids, but for now I'll avoid the stressful times coming home or waking up to all of my plants floating (yeah, rocks holding them down didn't work) or chomped to bits!!

Theresa_M

Members
Quick shot of Emily's 29g (gouramis, platies) after adding the najas; it looked like a completely different tank!

april15200710.jpg

Theresa_M

Members
Thanks.

That 29g was my first tank and no matter what I tried I was never satisfied with the aquascaping. I think she did a good job and I'm finally happy with how it looks :)

marge618

CCA member
Hi all,
I am resurecting this topic in order to help a newbie get in to keeping aquatic plants. Remember back when you started with plants -not the tanks with the cichlids. What worked for you? What resources did you use?

Charlutz: Did you use the cichlid-forum info successfully?
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Charlutz @ Mar 12 2007, 01:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
There is a very good article in the cichlid-forum library that deals with protecting plants from cichlids. One way is to use plants that are tough and don't taste good like java fern and anubias and can be secured to rocks. Another way is to plant them in small pots that can be buried in the sand, then use small rocks piled up around the base of the plant to keep the cichlids from getting at the roots.[/b]