• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Anyone kept crappie?

Zeppelin2088

Members
Just curious. I have a spare 30g tank and want to try this. I have a very nice well stocked family pond with crappie, largemouth bass, channel catfish, carp, and sunfish,perch,hybrids. Anyway... I was just going to catch a few crappie juvies in my seine and see how they do and how well they grow. Any suggestions?

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Spine

Members
I helped service a large pond(70,000 gal)the past 2 years.We net a lot of juvenile crappie while cleaning. I rarely catch adults and they seem to be slow growing.

I don't have any evidence to back that up with other than my own personal observations,it could be that preditors are eating all the adults(Heron,Channel Catfish+5lbs)

This year we drained the whole pound to clean it and we only caught 4-5 adults along with tons of juvies. I kept 6 juvies but all but one died before we got home. I had them in a 5gal bucket,it seems like they need a lot of air,they didn't make the 45 minute drive home.

The one survivor is doing well and eats anything I put in the tank. I plan on getting a couple more the next time we go back I'll keep you posted

Zeppelin2088

Members
This pond is a fishing pond that's the size of a football field, probably 10-12 ft deep. We have very nice looking/large crappie. We also have two fountains that shoot up several streams of water and the crappie love hanging out around the fountains. My guess is that they like the high oxygenated water they produce, so you're probably right.

dogofwar

CCA Members
I used to catch some really nice Crappies on Lake Murray in SC. Never tried to keep them, though...

Matt

gliebig

Members
I caught 50+ crappie at centenial lake a few weeks ago. I never kept them, but that would be pretty cool. I used to have a tank setup with lm bass, yellow perch, catfish and bluegill. That was fun.

Zeppelin2088

Members
Did you clean them or catch and release? I'd like to get a few little flatheads or channel cats too. They aren't as easy to catch that small though. Might try a perch and Lm bass too. Really want to watch the crappie grow though.

gliebig

Members
^ All c&r. I don't keep any fish, I just like to torture them for a few seconds them let them go. Except for tuna and mahi, they go straigt to my belly. Oh, and wahoo take a boat ride home too.

Sonny Disposition

Yeah. They are a spectacular showfish. White crappie will take pellets, but, to my knowledge, black crappie won't take much of anything but live fish. I kept some years ago, and I couldn't even get them to take night crawlers.

They have an eerie, ghostly grace-- something like an angel fish. They've very patient and will slowly inch closer and closer to prey fish until they get close enough to strike. Like cichlids, they're territorial. They're more aggressive with their own species than with other centrarchids (which tend to push them around.) A bigger individual will harass a smaller one until it gets sick and dies.

mgergley

Members
I had one for years when I was young......just keep live minnows in the tank and place for it to ambush the minnows